cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Religion" is the most popular category so far

Everyone getting the repression out of their system?

Isn't it ironic how El Jefe tells people if they want to discuss religion, to go to other sites where that is more appropriate, yet those who refer to this site over there are being banned?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Jefe's aversion to his board being used for religious discussion have anything to do with press privileges for TBS? It's the only rational reason I can think of for the policy. FWIW, I think that Jefe has long underestimated the desire of many cougarboarders to have meaningful discussions about religion. Cougarguard has been very fulfilling in that regard.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here is what Steve has told me about the religious rules

Steve does not want the board to be a place where anti's can bash the church or zealots can preach false doctorine. He also doesn't want to be the person to determine what is false doctorine and what is not, so he decided to just ban all religious discussions.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jefe is not affiliated with TBS. . .

His paranoia about religious discussions has nothing to do with press credentials for TBS. He's just a tad on the repressed side. My biggest gripe with CougarBoard is that it is being overtaken by weenies.

I wouldn't call Jefe a weenie, but his zest for deleting controversial posts is a bit puzzling. I can understand deleting a post if it is vulgar or obscene, but to delete a post just because it expresses an unpopular opinion or because it might be controversial is just plain juvenile.

Instead of deleting posts, the moderators should just red-flag them so that those who are easily offended could simply skip them. If Jefe did that, I think he'd find that red-flagged posts would be the most frequently read posts on the board.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I also wouldn't be surprised if Jefe wanted to steer the board back to sports(remember sports?) and just doesn't want the wide variance of personalities & banter that extensive religion discussion would bring. Its probably just a direction in which he doesn't want to go.

I rather like the religion category on CougarGuard and how its fairly unique for the moment. I just hope that it doesn't become infested with antis like ldstalk.com has.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

don't worry.....this will never be a destination to trash Mormonism. Plenty of other places to do that.

Also, there is no reason that cougarboard must be everything to everyone. In fact, it's impossible to make everyone happy. Plenty of people on cougarboard have absolutely no interest in coming here. That's fine (a friend told me that the spelling of "guard" will the be the first impediment to many cougarboarders getting here :P ).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote