cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too. I'm probably coming back in the next life as a cockroach.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a lawyer, I'm already lower than a cockroach, so becoming a cockroach might be actually considered an improvement.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #13
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I admit I was a little distressed ...

... at the thought of potential multiple mortal probations. I really do not know if it is a true concept. If it is, however, I have changed my stance on it. It makes sense that we would need multiple experiences like that to actually grow to where we need to be. Joseph did say it would take a great many "eternities" beyond this life to attain exaltation.

I used to think life sort of sucked and I would not want to go through it again. But then I realize I was as excited as could be at being able to come to earth, even knowing the challenges I would face. I do not believe anyone would be forced to come back through a mortal probation. I believe it would all be based on choice. If we want to remain in a kingdom of glory, we will be allowed to do so. If we choose to enter mortality again, it would be because I choose to do so with much more knowledge and thought going into the choice than I have now. So I trust myself to make the best choice at the time if it comes to that and I do not worry about it now. Life really is a gift, even though it can suck some or a lot of the time. It is a gift that helps us progress. If there is more of that gift waiting in the future, I believe I will grab it by the horns if that is the way things are.

And, BTW, the concept of mortal probations is different than reincarnation. Multiple mortal probations never have you reverting to a lesser life form. You are always you, a bing in the image of God.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

but what good does it do to come back and not have any memory of a previous existence?

I came back as a ward executive secretary? does that mean I was a murderer in my past live(s)?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
Dan

Default Presumably , ...

... whatever intelligence you gain in this life gives you all the more advantage in the life to come. How that works, I don't know. But it may impact your predispositions, your circumstances you are placed in, among many other possibilities. Some people just seem to be more celestial even though they are living in a telestial world. maybe people are born that way.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #16
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what about...

eternal marriage?

is that only eternal until you find out you gotta go back down and marry another chick?

and what about the third cast out.....whats the story behind those people according to the theory?

thanks.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

yeah, how do women marry different men in each cycle?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
eternal marriage?

is that only eternal until you find out you gotta go back down and marry another chick?
I must preface this by saying that I'm not an A/G believer. It doesn't freak me out though and I don't doubt anything that Dan has written about it's place in our history.

I came across this scripture years ago and I think an A/G apologist could apply it to your first question. Check out D&C 19 vs6-12. If I'm reading it correctly, it means that the words "endless" and "eternal" can also be a way of saying "Gods'..." IOW instead of saying "eternal marriage" you could substitute "God's marriage".

This doesn't address what happens to the marriage in your question, but it does address the question of how could you call a marriage "eternal" if it supposedly ends.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #19
Dan

Default The idea of not needing to be dilligent ...

... in this life if there will be opportunity after opportunity to progress in the future is a common first reaction. I felt that way myself. But when one realizes what AG is about, they see that it teaches that EVERY probation is a great OPPORTUNITY to advance. So, if one is at a point where AG makes any sense, they are probably at the point where they actually understand the idea that each probation would be nothing but blessed growth opportunity and would, therefore, not be inclined to squander it.

The issue with sealings and AG is a sticky one. It seems to me you would either need to believe the sealing is for [this] time and [this] all eternity, or that there would be some mechanism in place that the 'soul mates' would be placed in each other's way in the next go around so as to continue their relationship. There could be other explanations for how it would work. But early on, men used to be sealed to OTHER MEN. The twelve were sealed to Joseph, and then brethren would be sealed to the twelve, and then others would be sealed to the aforementioned brethren, etc. Men were also sealed to their wives, but the whole sealing process was initially a little different than it is now. But that is why you hear of guys like John D. Lee (Mountain Meadows Massacre) who was BY's "son", or "adopted son". John D. Lee was not actually related to BY in the normal sense, but rather he had been sealed to BY as I mentioned above.