cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Slingbox help!

I'm posting this under football, because if I don't get this resolved, I won't be able to see the Tulsa game. Posted it on CB as well.

It's actually more of a connectivity problem more than a Slingbox problem. Finally broke down and bought a Slingbox for a friend of mine over in Utah so I can see the games. But I can't get to the guy's box.

(Warning, technical stuff coming)

For some odd reason, we cannot get to each other's IP address. When I ping his box, I get a string of "Request timed out" responses, no matter how long I make the timeout length, or the TTL. He gets the same.

Weird thing is, when I do a traceroute, my signal gets all the way to him ... I get there in about 15 hops. But I can't ping, and Slingbox can't locate the IP address either.

I'm at my rope's end. I work in the Internet industry, so I know a few tricks, but I've never had this problem before. How come two publicly available IPs can't hit each other?

Any thoughts? I want to see Tulsa today!!

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Here is a link for remote viewing assistance:

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/remoteviewing

You shouldn't have to connect directly to his IP address. You should be able to log in from any computer and type in the slingbox id number and the password and log in directly that way. You don't even need to know his ip address.

I log on to a slingbox frequently, and have never once entered an IP address (though you can connect that way as well, if it works out to be easier- not the case with you).
Thanks for the link.

I thought the fact that I can't ping him might indicated a low-level problem. But I called up my parents to have them ping both of us, and they get the same problem, so maybe I'm diagnosing it wrong.

I'll have him do a hard reset of the Slingbox and re-run the setup software. Maybe there's a configuration step we missed.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm posting this under football, because if I don't get this resolved, I won't be able to see the Tulsa game. Posted it on CB as well.

It's actually more of a connectivity problem more than a Slingbox problem. Finally broke down and bought a Slingbox for a friend of mine over in Utah so I can see the games. But I can't get to the guy's box.

(Warning, technical stuff coming)

For some odd reason, we cannot get to each other's IP address. When I ping his box, I get a string of "Request timed out" responses, no matter how long I make the timeout length, or the TTL. He gets the same.

Weird thing is, when I do a traceroute, my signal gets all the way to him ... I get there in about 15 hops. But I can't ping, and Slingbox can't locate the IP address either.

I'm at my rope's end. I work in the Internet industry, so I know a few tricks, but I've never had this problem before. How come two publicly available IPs can't hit each other?

Any thoughts? I want to see Tulsa today!!
<Insert standard comment about firewalls here>
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Thanks for the link.

I thought the fact that I can't ping him might indicated a low-level problem. But I called up my parents to have them ping both of us, and they get the same problem, so maybe I'm diagnosing it wrong.

I'll have him do a hard reset of the Slingbox and re-run the setup software. Maybe there's a configuration step we missed.
I was setting one up for a friend at my house a month or two ago and I was having a tough time getting it to work. Finally, I did a full factory reset (this was a used slingbox) and re-ran the setup and config as you described. Worked like a charm. I have it set up behind a Linksys router/NAT.

Can your friend see the TV signal on his end? I.e., over the local network?

I also recall that slingbox encourages folks to phone in for setup help. They would rather help you get it up and running than see you return it. You may want to give them a call.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Fish

Fish is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you have the proper port open on the router where the slingbox is located. Otherwise, only 'puters on the local network can connect. For example, I dedicated port 8080 to my slingbox. Then on your router make sure port 8080 is being directed to the slingbox hardware.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Tex

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. We did a hard reset and re-ran the setup, and things work great.

Just in time to watch the Utes get destroyed.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Never say CG communtiy never did nothing for you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Never say CG communtiy never did nothing for you.
I have never said that.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young