cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utefans.net -- webmaster control

I almost *never* read UFN, but I couldn't help myself recently. I wanted to see what they were saying about the game. Of course, I heard on CB, that posting was limited to donors only.

I came across this post today from webmonkey where new posters must go through an "initiation period" before they become fully functional members. In other words, they are trying to shut out trollish BYU fans. BYU fans would be allowed if they are considered "productive".

I find it ironic that cougarboard could now be considered more freedom-friendly than UFN.

Shaping the culture of a message board is a problematic thing. Jefe has been heavy-handed quite often, to the point of shutting out "sticky" cougar fans like me. And now webmonkey's take.

My preference is that community members themselves take an active roll in shaping the culture. I think we have done a pretty good job of that. I have had to be the avenging angel only once.

Carry on.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I almost *never* read UFN, but I couldn't help myself recently. I wanted to see what they were saying about the game. Of course, I heard on CB, that posting was limited to donors only.

I came across this post today from webmonkey where new posters must go through an "initiation period" before they become fully functional members. In other words, they are trying to shut out trollish BYU fans. BYU fans would be allowed if they are considered "productive".

I find it ironic that cougarboard could now be considered more freedom-friendly than UFN.

Shaping the culture of a message board is a problematic thing. Jefe has been heavy-handed quite often, to the point of shutting out "sticky" cougar fans like me. And now webmonkey's take.

My preference is that community members themselves take an active roll in shaping the culture. I think we have done a pretty good job of that. I have had to be the avenging angel only once.

Carry on.

I agree with you. I think it's best that the board itself run off those who do nothing but cause trouble rather than the webmaster.

FWIW, you would be well accepted on utefans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Monkey's reply to one inquiry was that new users still have freedom of speech, just not the freedom to post a hundred replies and spam the site with crap.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Monkey's reply to one inquiry was that new users still have freedom of speech, just not the freedom to post a hundred replies and spam the site with crap.

Well Monkey still hasn't sent me my password now that mine was corrupted. It does seem a little ironic given the mountain of posts of academic lack of freedom at BYU.