cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top shot blocker per MWC team

I've been thinking as to the question of whether Trent could play defense in the NBA. I was just curious as to how he ranked in shot-blocking in the MWC. I don't think 1.3 bpg is in the top 100 in the country.

After the game against TCU, I think an overlooked factor in Plaisted's fouls is how his man gets the ball very close to the basket. You are much more likely to end up fouling when your guy has the ball close, and is going to shoot. If the guy is further out, he passes out, double-teaming is easier, and more difficult shots are attempted that require less defensive risk-taking.

If I am Rose, I really challenge Plaisted to make the next quantum leap forward. Or two quantum leaps. I make sure that he gets A LOT stronger in the lower body. I also challenge him to get some adequate coaching for the 5 position (I think him at the 4 is not even worthy of comment. He has close to zero game facing the basket and has no range). And I challenge him to play somewhere over the summer where he is facing people that are better than him, that he can't outathlete.

In Plaisted we have a good athlete (not an incredible one) who is still very raw and needs a lot more development of basketball IQ (court vision, passing out of the double team).

It will be a severe disappointment if Plaisted doesn't end up better than Hafa, and I am worried about his trajectory of improvement.

Alvarado Parker (TCU) 2.3 6'8" Forward
Jason Smith (CSU) 1.7 7'0" forward
Gaston Essengue (UNLV) 1.6 6'8" Forward
Joseph Taylor (Wyo) 1.5 6'8" Forward
Jerome Habel (SDSU) 1.4 6'10" forward
Trent Plaisted 1.3 (BYU) 6'11" center
Luke Nevill (Utah) 1.0 7'1" Center
Daniel Faris (NM) 0.8 6'9" Forward
John Frye (AF) 0.5 6'10" Center
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
After the game against TCU, I think an overlooked factor in Plaisted's fouls is how his man gets the ball very close to the basket. You are much more likely to end up fouling when your guy has the ball close, and is going to shoot. If the guy is further out, he passes out, double-teaming is easier, and more difficult shots are attempted that require less defensive risk-taking.

If I am Rose, I really challenge Plaisted to make the next quantum leap forward. Or two quantum leaps. I make sure that he gets A LOT stronger in the lower body. I also challenge him to get some adequate coaching for the 5 position (I think him at the 4 is not even worthy of comment. He has close to zero game facing the basket and has no range). And I challenge him to play somewhere over the summer where he is facing people that are better than him, that he can't outathlete.

In Plaisted we have a good athlete (not an incredible one) who is still very raw and needs a lot more development of basketball IQ (court vision, passing out of the double team).
Exactly what I was thinking. Plaisted's lack of lower body strength, and muscle in general, is really preventing him from being a much better player. If he remedies this he will be much better offensively AND defensively.

TCU had a couple of big bodies that they rotated on Trent. He couldn't score on either and couldn't defend the one who actualy had some post moves. Result: Trent 11 points, 4 boards in 17 minutes.

Thank goodness for Keena.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Plaisted a shorter version of Shawn Bradley with more upside?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is Plaisted a shorter version of Shawn Bradley with more upside?
Aren't we all?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
Aren't we all?
LOL! That was great. Very good one.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Plaisted is very athletic for a kid 6'11' but i agree with you he needs some sort of face up game, if he can somehow get to Pete Newells Big man camp in Las Vegas over the summer, he will come back a different player, he will be going head to head with the best post players in the country down there and it will help him. Hoffa went down there between his jr and sr year and look what it did for him.