cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Never order store-pickup with REI

I ordered a zip stove that was on backorder. Well it is finally in stock about a month after I ordered, and now I have to wait an extra two weeks because the REI truck only delivers once every two weeks.

Joy.

I should have paid the 5 bucks to get it shipped.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike let me be the first to say you have come a long ways with this Scout stuff. It seems like at the beginning you were not real thrilled about this calling. Now you are looking in to buying a trailer, you are have a frequent shopper card at REI and it seems like you are starting to become a diehard.

Way to magnify your calling, at this rate you will have your Silver Beaver in no time. Hopefully after graduating you got some from the Silver Beaver as well.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I ordered a zip stove that was on backorder. Well it is finally in stock about a month after I ordered, and now I have to wait an extra two weeks because the REI truck only delivers once every two weeks.

Joy.

I should have paid the 5 bucks to get it shipped.
When Miguel goes to Woodbadge, that is when I know he is truly converted. I have known him for about 16 years now, and he is full of suprises.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451
When Miguel goes to Woodbadge, that is when I know he is truly converted. I have known him for about 16 years now, and he is full of suprises.
going to wood bagde is only a matter of time and money.

rumor was that the stake president was going to pay for us to go to wood badge.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
going to wood bagde is only a matter of time and money.

rumor was that the stake president was going to pay for us to go to wood badge.
People that I know that have gone to woodbadge have said that it was a really great experience and that it taught them a lot about leadership principles in general and that they have applied these principles throughout the rest of their lives. If given the chance, I would go as well.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've warmed up a little to the idea of wood badge over the past couple of years. I've always been that guy who was never interested in basic or advanced scout leader training, insisting that I would rather be on a campout with the boys than in a weekend seminar. But, I have yet to hear someone say that they disliked the experience, and most guys absolutely loved it.

A week of summer vacation away from the family, without the excuse of magnifying my calling at scout camp or a high adventure activity was very hard to get past my wife. Maybe at a different stage in life.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Got my zip stove tonight. Took her out for a little run, and she works great. Like a little forge. I think I could put a brand in there and charge $5 a pop at a historically black college or something.

(okay, not tasteful, but just making social commentary on black folks in fraternities choosing to brand themselves, often resulting in nasty looking keloids).
Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Got my zip stove tonight. Took her out for a little run, and she works great. Like a little forge. I think I could put a brand in there and charge $5 a pop at a historically black college or something.

(okay, not tasteful, but just making social commentary on black folks in fraternities choosing to brand themselves, often resulting in nasty looking keloids).
LOL! Very funny, Mike. Well done.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote