cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What I missed during scout camp...

1. My wedding anniversary.

2. My son's first words. Which happened not to be "dada", but rather, "cracka".

One of the other adult leaders here said, "so he will love food." I replied, "either that, or he will be a racist."

It's beautiful country out there....the only "incident" so far is when one of my 15yo's ruined the shirts of a few scouts from the other LDS troop by smearing blackberries. I informed him that part of repentance is restitution. But it was a good lesson for him, and he got the "it's time to grow up" speech from me. Kick it up a gear.

That was my first one-on-one talk with a scout like that. Kind of weird. I'm not that old, after all. I got my own eagle only 13 years ago or so.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Ah, the joys of being a scout leader.

I admire you Mike. Tough call, especially the way that those boys appear to have been behaving. Too bad about missing your anniversary and kids first words.

One question though... when did they put computers with internet access at scout camp?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

ah, yes, the joys of internet access, sitting in the air conditioned dining hall, sipping ice water and punch.

I also wonder when they started putting in clean flushing toilets, and private hot showers (for both boys and adults).

This is probably the top camp in this part of the country, and must be among the best in the nation. For one, this camp offers more merit badges than any other in the country.

Heck they even do a fly fishing , all day outing for adults that want to go.

Three of my boys are going on an all day white water kayaking trip today, and the other goes tomorrow. Horseback riding, skiing (they have a freaking artificial ski slope), you name it. Even electrical outlets in the camp.

Best thing--hardly any mosquitos, and nighttime temp of 50 degrees. Food? Standard cafeteria fare, but much better than most camps I am told (it's been a longtime since I had been to scout camp, and my palate has developed in those years). Plus it is all you can eat. This camp pretty much rocks. Only downside is that we are little bit too closely packed together (leading to my consternation about our noise pollution). But next year they will be spacing us out...

http://halescoutreservation.org/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I want to go.

Just for the fly fishing.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

This is not Scout Camp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
...internet access... air conditioned dining hall... clean flushing toilets, and private hot showers (for both boys and adults)... electrical outlets in the camp.

Only downside is that we are little bit too closely packed together (leading to my consternation about our noise pollution). But next year they will be spacing us out...
hell... this isn't even "camping" by my standard. This sounds like one of those "camps" you see in the teen movies or "The Parent Trap."

Cafeteria food?

Scouting has made some significant changes since I was a young pup. When I went to scout camp we drove 10 miles off the highway on a dirt road to a three walled cabin and a couple of canvas tents. Our "bathroom" was an 8' board with 4 holes in it resting on four garbage cans. The showers were canvas stalls supplied by water diverted from the nearby creek. "Camp" was "over there" in a small clearing and we made our own dinner in dutch ovens.

The "garden spot" of the entire camp was the director's cabin/medical clinic. A single wide trailer neatly tucked into a grove of trees with its very own outhouse just yards from the back door.

I'm not complaining... We loved it. I had no idea places like the one you describe existed.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Cabins? Where I come from, only the Beehives got cabins for their "campouts".

Tents all the way. We cooked all our own meals using the fire and a portable gas stove. We swam in a lake.

Kids these days... we're raising a generation of wimps.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo

Tents all the way. We cooked all our own meals using the fire and a portable gas stove. We swam in a lake.

So if you did all those things, and STILL turned out a wimp does that mean that those things aren't the true factor or that our kids will be even bigger sissies than you?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
1. My wedding anniversary.

2. My son's first words. Which happened not to be "dada", but rather, "cracka".

One of the other adult leaders here said, "so he will love food." I replied, "either that, or he will be a racist."

It's beautiful country out there....the only "incident" so far is when one of my 15yo's ruined the shirts of a few scouts from the other LDS troop by smearing blackberries. I informed him that part of repentance is restitution. But it was a good lesson for him, and he got the "it's time to grow up" speech from me. Kick it up a gear.

That was my first one-on-one talk with a scout like that. Kind of weird. I'm not that old, after all. I got my own eagle only 13 years ago or so.
What, Lingo isn't on the list? :-p
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
So if you did all those things, and STILL turned out a wimp does that mean that those things aren't the true factor or that our kids will be even bigger sissies than you?
If I had turned out to be a wimp, then yes.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo

Blah blah blah, uphill both ways, snow up to here, blah, blah blah.