cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Interesting... I wasn't aware that I'm out here to make one big point, but what do you perceive that to be?
Yeah homeboy, I'm going to have to agree with Johnny on this one. If he has ever had a point, I don't know what it was.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think a lot of the reason I stick around is because I perceive this board to be a big "whine about the church and brag about how smart we are" community.

The "liberal mormon" mentality bugs me a lot.
You are one weird duck dude...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
In 10 years of being a father (my daughter is 14) I have been to exactly "1" father daughter event. I am 1/1 on events that have been offered.

Now... over your lifetime how many events have you been on with your father that was sponsored by the church? I would bet everything I own that the opportunities have been more than 1.

You don't have children so you can't understand where I am coming from.

And it isn't like I don't spend sufficient time with my kids. I have coached my oldest daughter in soccer for 9 years now. My youngest for 4. With practices and games that is 5 days a weeks we spend quite a few hours each week. I would venture that I spend more time with my kids than 75% of the people I know.

And having sat through PEC hundreds of time over the last few years I can tell you that the church would "NEVER" allow father son campout. I have been told this by Bishops and by several Stake Presidents.

The reasons given....

1. It would appear inapropriate.

2. Fear of abuse.

Like I would bring it up here if I hadn't asked someone about it in real life. No need for me to pull a rabbit out of my hat here online.
Good post. I understand where you're coming from and am only wondering if this fear of abuse reaches to other types of father-daughter activites that wouldn't include an overnighter.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what ever happened to mother-son campouts?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #15
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Good post. I understand where you're coming from and am only wondering if this fear of abuse reaches to other types of father-daughter activites that wouldn't include an overnighter.
See we can play nice together.

When I was a kid I remember the church having a few "daddy/daughter" dances. Now, I don't have any sisters but I remember hearing about them.

But I don't hear about them anymore.

There are about 5 guys in my ward that are in the same situation I am. All girls no boys. We talk about the lack of stuff all the time. We have approached the Bishop and YW President about planning an activity and get nothing.

We have thought about picking a weekend this summer and taking all of our girls on a fishing/camping trip. So we are doing something.

But it would sure be great to be able to take my girls camping and have them sit around the fire and listen to a testimony from the Bishop and a member of the Stake Presidency. Don't see how that wouldn't benefit their progression.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
But it would sure be great to be able to take my girls camping and have them sit around the fire and listen to a testimony from the Bishop and a member of the Stake Presidency. Don't see how that wouldn't benefit their progression.
Don't they do that at Young Women's Camp?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #17
The_Tick

Quote:
I don't get to go to girls camp.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #18
JohnnyLingo

Maybe you could go for the testimony meeting if you asked.

I know that they ask for a couple Melchizedek Priesthood holders to go to camp along with a member of the Bishopric every year in my ward.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #19
The_Tick

Quote:
Something else that cracks me up....

We have 5 active YW in our ward. My daughter at 14 is the 2nd oldest. We have no Laurels.

Our Stake does Girls camp together. The Monday after school gets out. The same day summer school starts. So out of 5 girls we only have 1 going because the rest are going to summer school.

Our Stake also does scout camp together. Scout camp is held the week AFTER summer school ends. So I will have 7 out of 10 kids attending scout camp. If they did it during summer school I would only have 2.

I asked the Stake YM President about it and he stated that it is only reasonable to have it after summer school so more boys could benefit from it.

I also asked the Stake YW President the same question. She told me that my daughter was choosing to miss out on the Girls camp experience because she is choosing to go to summer school. Kind of. In her High Shool if you want to participate in drumline you have to take your health/keyboarding class in the summer.

Same church, 2 different organizations, polar opposite in their thought process. I agree with the YM president on this one.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #20
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
What a joke.....

So they change the name from Father/Son campout to Priesthood commemeration so folks like myself (2 daughters, 0 sons) have no excuse not to attend.
Back to the original post.

They changed the name of the Fathers/Sons campout??? Is that a local thing or churchwide?

If it is churchwide, was there a memo read from the pulpit or in PEC that I missed?

Now that you mention it, this weekend is our F/S campout, and they are showing a PH commemoration video on the projection tv against the side of a camper at 8:00 friday night. Last year it was Star Wars.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote