cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The value of sport as an adult

I believe in the value of playing sports. Teamwork, practice, self-improvement, physical fitness, competition, etc. I don't need to hash it out.

But now that I am an old man, how much value is there in playing sport? I've already learned life's lessons re: sport. Now I play for physical fitness, camaraderie, and simply because it is pleasurable. Am I wasting my time?

This goes to the question of how much time we spend on activities that give us pleasure, but provide questionable service to others, and are of questionable legacy value. When I die, will they salute me for the amount of time I played basketball. Or how I improved my jumpshot? "He was a great man-up defender, he blocked out, he was fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals." Will any of that matter to *me*?

Most people who don't play sports are frittering away their time in other ways. It's not like they are doing things that are better, in the eternal sense, than sport. But some are.

"Wow, he did that?" "Well, at least I'm a good ballplayer, he doesn't have that going for him."

Sport is preparation for war, at a certain level. Maybe warriors are always preparing. However, not many of us old-folks are going to be fighting wars. So maybe it is not of great value, but still the arena calls out, and the satisfaction of entering that arena is largely irreplaceable in other facets of life. What can I say? I don't understand it. And am powerless to prevent myself from entering it.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-27-2009 at 03:14 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I believe in the value of playing sports. Teamwork, practice, self-improvement, physical fitness, competition, etc. I don't need to hash it out.

But now that I am an old man, how much value is there in playing sport? I've already learned life's lessons re: sport. Now I play for physical fitness, camaraderie, and simply because it is pleasurable. Am I wasting my time?

This goes to the question of how much time we spend on activities that give us pleasure, but provide questionable service to others, and are of questionable legacy value. When I die, will they salute me for the amount of time I played basketball. Or how I improved my jumpshot? "He was a great man-up defender, he blocked out, he was fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals." Will any of that matter to *me*?

Most people who don't play sports are frittering away their time in other ways. It's not like they are doing things that are better, in the eternal sense, than sport. But some are.

"Wow, he did that?" "Well, at least I'm a good ballplayer, he doesn't have that going for him."

Sport is preparation for war, at a certain level. Maybe warriors are always preparing. However, not many of us old-folks are going to be fighting wars. So maybe it is not of great value, but still the arena calls out, and the satisfaction of entering that arena is largely irreplaceable in other facets of life. What can I say? I don't understand it. And am powerless to prevent myself from entering it.
Sports for those out of college should form a basis for fitness IMHO. And as you point out, most who don't seek fitness, are wasting time in other venues.

I don't see a lot of value in team sports for the post college types, but if you can do it without too much invasion into work or family time, so much the better.

By seeking fitness, you will feel better about yourself, be able to perform your other duties without excessive fatigue and look more attractive to your partner. I mean when you're hot and bothered and the belly plops out, it's not exactly going to make her forget Ben Affleck or whoever floats her boat.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The physical fitness benefits are a reason to play sports and as long as you're having fun, there's no really no reason to stop unless you can't physically do it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Classic post, MW.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote