cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wonder what GA's would think of our youth

if they could witness LDS troops as summer camp.

Here is what I posted on CB:

Quote:
Ways to identify a LDS troop at summer camp Ignore MikeWaters
Author: MikeWaters
Date: Jun 8, 2006 - 11:07am
Post quality: % / % change
Insider info: % / % change

1. A group of scouts in line at the mess hall, with no scout pants or shorts, all with scout shirts completely unbuttoned.

2. Look for the troop with the oldest boys, often evincing an expression that indicates supreme disinterest.

3. Orange epaulets.

4. A member of a troop says the phrase "strength and nourishment" during the mic'ed mess hall prayer.

5. Look for either the most stressed out, or the most laissez-faire adult leaders. Both will be LDS.

6. A group of boys who make sneering remarks and in general show disrespect for scouting traditions and institutions.
LDS troops may be the least respectful, least courteous.....what does that say about us, if anything?

I have serious misgivings about attaching any LDS emblem to my troop, or any other LDS troop I have seen, for fear of damaging the church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
if they could witness LDS troops as summer camp.

LDS troops may be the least respectful, least courteous.....what does that say about us, if anything?

I have serious misgivings about attaching any LDS emblem to my troop, or any other LDS troop I have seen, for fear of damaging the church.
I don't know if I'd say that. It really depends on the commitment of the scoutmaster, the bishop, and the parents. While not as polished, and smaller in numbers, our troop was very respectful and well behaved (relatively speaking).
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

yes, I know I am making generalizations.

But I think it is fair to say that the best run troops are rarely LDS.

Lack of continuity of adult leadership is probably the #1 problem

Three of the wards that meet in the same bldg have formed one troop. Given our demographics, this would make sense for us. Anyone else doing that?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

That's a tough call. My adult experience has been that, yes, our scouts typically did not have full uniforms and same did not even know the basic scout recitations (oath, law, motto), but they were always very respectful and participatory.

The last time I went to scout camp was 2 years ago and we had a unique group - 5 or 6 boys age 16 or older, 2 of whom were already eagle scouts and the other 4 soon to become eagle. There were also about 6 more younger boys in the 12-13 year old range. One of these Life scouts was the SPL and was a great leader, often resorting to extreme measures to make sure the younger kids were well-behaved, excited during troup yells and attended their classes. Again, I don't doubt these guys were the exception to MW's generalization, but that was my experience, for which I was very greatful for. It allowed me get plenty of use out of my new hammock and not have to worry about chasing the boys to their classes.

You did bring a hammock, didn't you?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
You did bring a hammock, didn't you?
No, but I brought an electric fan, mosquito net, and cot.

The problem is that we are in one of those dying urban wards. It's all geezers and people with young kids. The educated/affluent families with young kids (i.e. me) will move out when their kids get to school. To go to the suburbs. A few will stay and home school.

So that's why we don't have any 12-13yo in our troop. We have one 11yo , but he has been excluded from scouts (because it is wrong to bring him in the troop despite there being no 11yo program--not my decision).