cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Semi-annual scout campout this weekend

This weekend (actually starting today) our ward/troop is having their semi-annual gun-fest which takes place every April during spring break and every september.

A guy in my ward owns about 1,000 acres out in the country with 10 fishing lakes, a rifle range and an automatic skeet shooter. He also has a 65 inch plasma screen tv in the ranch house which came in handy 2 years during the friday night game against BSU. The heartbreaking loos only partly ruined the weekend.

The boys look forward to this campout all year long. We typically shoot off between 3,000 and 4,000 rounds of ammunition over the course of the weekend, mostly shotgun shells and .22s. And yes, we usually have a certified range master present to make it official for the BSA.

We also do some service for the guy. Last year we put in a sandy beach at one of his lakes and 2 years ago we took down about 12 dead cottonwood trees. They, of course, went straight into the bonfire which could be seen from the spacestation.

As I was released from the YM last year, I was invited along as an emeritus scout leader - all of the fun with none of the planning or discipline. Hoping the weather holds out until saturday so I spend a night out there.

Can't wait to go.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Wow! That sounds awesome.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
bluegoose

I forgot to mention the guy has about 12 quads in a garage on the property. Pretty sweet set-up.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this all WM's property? Man, I never knew you guys were doing all of that. I'd have tried to weasel in on that a long time ago. When you say 10 fishing lakes do you mean ponds?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Is this all WM's property? Man, I never knew you guys were doing all of that. I'd have tried to weasel in on that a long time ago. When you say 10 fishing lakes do you mean ponds?
One of the "lakes" is big enough to take wave runners or a small sailboat on. The rest of them are more like ponds, I'm guessing about 100-200 yards wide. All of them are full of catfish and large mouth bass.