cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Price of doing business. Who pays the doctor when the patient can't pay?
Do ranchers get subsidies like farmers? I don't see why they wouldn't, as meat raisers. If so, how offensive is it that they won't tolerate a wolf kill every now and then for the common good?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Do ranchers get subsidies like farmers? I don't see why they wouldn't, as meat raisers. If so, how offensive is it that they won't tolerate a wolf kill every now and then for the common good?
I don't know of any subsidies for either dairy farmers or cattle ranchers, and if there were any I am pretty sure I would have heard of it. The only subsidy one could argue is the cheap renting of government owned land for summer pasture, but even that is now a competitive bid process and some pussie from Sun Valley, John "Super" Marvel, has been using Hollywood elite donations to outbid the ranchers all over the state.

To be honest, I am somewhat surprised Super Marvel is still alive.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I don't know of any subsidies for either dairy farmers or cattle ranchers, and if there were any I am pretty sure I would have heard of it. The only subsidy one could argue is the cheap renting of government owned land for summer pasture, but even that is now a competitive bid process and some pussie from Sun Valley, John "Super" Marvel, has been using Hollywood elite donations to outbid the ranchers all over the state.

To be honest, I am somewhat surprised Super Marvel is still alive.
You've never heard of dairy subsidies?

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6764

Funny that the ranchers would think that they own the federal land.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting article about Jon Marvel from 1999.

http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=5134

I love that he wears a button "end welfare ranching."

He makes the point that it costs more to feed a hamster every month than ranchers pay the govt. to rape the land with their cattle. Ridiculous. Idaho passed a law specifically to prevent him from bidding on leases, but it was overturned by the state supreme court.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote