cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fly fishing

any suggestions on how to get started, what kind of reel to buy, etc.

also, have any of you ever caught a bat while flyfishing?

My friend told me he did once, and it's not that uncommon. You have that line whipping through the air and the bat eats the fly.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
any suggestions on how to get started, what kind of reel to buy, etc.

also, have any of you ever caught a bat while flyfishing?

My friend told me he did once, and it's not that uncommon. You have that line whipping through the air and the bat eats the fly.
Take lessons. Go with a guide the first few times or with a very good friend who's very good and owes you a favor.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

First of all, you will need to move out west. There is no decent fly-fishing in Texas.

You may want to subscribe to Fly Fishing magazine. And/or check out some books at the library. Fly fishing can be obscenely expensive. I would start out with some basic gear and see if you like it. If you really get into it, you will want to start tying your own flies. You also need to ask yourself if you have the time. I have fly-tying equipment, rods, reels, line, waders, etc. but I rarely use it anymore.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
First of all, you will need to move out west. There is no decent fly-fishing in Texas.

You may want to subscribe to Fly Fishing magazine. And/or check out some books at the library. Fly fishing can be obscenely expensive. I would start out with some basic gear and see if you like it. If you really get into it, you will want to start tying your own flies. You also need to ask yourself if you have the time. I have fly-tying equipment, rods, reels, line, waders, etc. but I rarely use it anymore.
au contraire monfrere (excuse the poor french)

http://www.guadalupetrout.com/

Also there is trout fishing in Oklahoma just north of me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Honestly if you know how to cast and fish in a stream with hardware or even bait, you can do fly fishing in almost no time. (The transition is even easier in a small lake.) The instinct, knack and skill for seeing that perfect riffle and casting your lure just at the right spot upstream so that it courses right through the center fold of that riffle is readily transferrable. Also, much as dry fly fishing is the storied, romantic part of fly fishing, I've found that 90% of the time wet flies are in order. To a large extent the distinction between lures or hardware and wet flies is semantics. You do need to learn to feel comfortable with a fly rod and reel and fly line, but that doesn't take long if you've fished all your life. But I think even experienced fishers need a guide when the go to a new spot with promise. From what I've seen, you will never be as fruitful with flies as a spin cast rod and hardware. But the journey's the thing, right?

—Paul Auster
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Flyfishing is much more fruitful that lure fishing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Honestly if you know how to cast and fish in a stream with hardware or even bait, you can do fly fishing in almost no time. (The transition is even easier in a small lake.) The instinct, knack and skill for seeing that perfect riffle and casting your lure just at the right spot upstream so that it courses right through the center fold of that riffle is readily transferrable. Also, much as dry fly fishing is the storied, romantic part of fly fishing, I've found that 90% of the time wet flies are in order. To a large extent the distinction between lures or hardware and wet flies is semantics. You do need to learn to feel comfortable with a fly rod and reel and fly line, but that doesn't take long if you've fished all your life. But I think even experienced fishers need a guide when the go to a new spot with promise. From what I've seen, you will never be as fruitful with flies as a spin cast rod and hardware. But the journey's the thing, right?
Maybe you need a bigger pole?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Maybe you need a bigger pole?
No serious fly fisherman would call his implement a "pole."

—Paul Auster
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No serious fly fisherman would call his implement a "pole."
This is so very true. Fishing poles are purchased at WalMart

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote