cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Utah political districts

Forgive my ignorance here, but I have a question for Utah political junkies. I'm in southern Utah. Why am I voting for Jim Matheson? Isn't he SLC's representative? My MIL has some theories, but she's borderline insane when we discuss politics, so I'm wondering what the history behind this is. Does our district really jump over Utah Valley to include SLC? Is that legal?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't know how to link the Utah-specific map, but click here, and then click on Utah. You'll see your district boundaries in all its glory.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/res...ain.results/#H

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Forgive my ignorance here, but I have a question for Utah political junkies. I'm in southern Utah. Why am I voting for Jim Matheson? Isn't he SLC's representative? My MIL has some theories, but she's borderline insane when we discuss politics, so I'm wondering what the history behind this is. Does our district really jump over Utah Valley to include SLC? Is that legal?

That's how they carved up the 2nd congressional district. Pieces here there and everywhere.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
It was gerrymandered by the Republican controlled Legislature after Matheson won his first seat. I think they took away the stronger democratic supporting mining areas, Carbon and Emery counties, and replaced it with rural areas from Southern Utah. Cannon now has Emery and Carbon counties. However, it failed and Matheson continues to win.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
ERCougar

Ok. I just pulled up the map. Check it out:
http://www.kued.org/productions/voteutah/voter/map.html

If you know Utah, this is really sort of funny. It's like they took urban Utah and grouped them with the national parks like to visit. I'm sure the interests of Grand County citizens align pretty closely with Salt Lakers.

What are the rules regarding gerrymandering? I think we'd end up with the same outcome (2 Reps and 1 Dem) with a more rational division but I'm just curious.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the district breakdown:

In 2004 the boundaries changed with the expectation that southern Utah would counterbalance the effect of SL county. IIRC, redistricting happens after every census and it done by the state legislature. If the Gerrymandering is too egregious, then it can be challenged in court.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It was gerrymandered by the Republican controlled Legislature after Matheson won his first seat. I think they took away the stronger democratic supporting mining areas, Carbon and Emery counties, and replaced it with rural areas from Southern Utah. Cannon now has Emery and Carbon counties. However, it failed and Matheson continues to win.
Ok...that makes sense. I actually like Matheson so I'm not too torn up about it (unlike my MIL). I was just curious.

EDIT: Wait...no it doesn't. Why would Emery and Carbon be democratic? Wouldn't they be fighting the liberal environmental interests?

When Matheson first won, was it essentially a SL valley district? Did the gerrymandering then add on southern Utah in an attempt to defeat him?

Last edited by ERCougar; 11-05-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
When Cannon won in 1996, his district included Carbon and Emery County. It has since changed.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
When Cannon won in 1996, his district included Carbon and Emery County. It has since changed.
So I can blame you dumbass Dinos and Miners for him? You people are no better than the Conejo Valley....oooh what a surprise what did Emery County's best BYU athlete do after only one year?

POX ON ALL OF YOU!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
So I can blame you dumbass Dinos and Miners for him? You people are no better than the Conejo Valley....oooh what a surprise what did Emery County's best BYU athlete do after only one year?

POX ON ALL OF YOU!
The inbreds of Emery County do not share the same political philosophy as the hard working folks in Carbon. While CC has a rich tradition of electing Democrats who reach across the aisle while still protecting the upstanding men risking their lives to put power in our homes. Fine officials like Mike Dmitrich, Omar Bunnel and Brad King, whose loss has upset me much more than that of John McCain. OTOH, Emery County prefers the type of politician whose foremost concern is Utah abortion law.