cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Utah-TCU

Who do you root for? Normally, this is a no-brainer, as I always cheer against Utah in conference. BYU still has a sliver of a chance to play in a BCS game, which is always a good thing, no matter how you think BYU is. That would obviously require Utah beating TCU. However, Wrubell raised the possibility last night of Utah beating TCU, BYU beating Utah, and then still not overcoming the computer ranking deficit between the two, and Utah getting an invite. How bad would that suck?

I think BSU blows it this weekend or against Fresno so they'll be about of the picture.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Unless you are speaking in the locker room to the boys, rooting doesn't matter. It wont change the outcome.

That said, wear your frog hat. If you don't have one, I'll send you mine from Thursday.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I think they're gonna have their hands full with New Mexico.

If they get out of that game, then we'll see.

I was at the U game on Saturday and they're advertising the Blackout against TCU in fullforce. Workers wearing buttons, advertisments on the JumboTron. That's smart marketing for their next home and 1st ever blackout.

A lot of the fans are thinking that a UNM win is a foregone conclusion. A lot of BYU fans made the same mistake leading up to the TCU and Utah games.

UNM is a big time trap game for them, and given their history of struggling down in Albuquerque that game is anything but a gimme.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I think they're gonna have their hands full with New Mexico.

If they get out of that game, then we'll see.

I was at the U game on Saturday and they're advertising the Blackout against TCU in fullforce. Workers wearing buttons, advertisments on the JumboTron. That's smart marketing for their next home and 1st ever blackout.

A lot of the fans are thinking that a UNM win is a foregone conclusion. A lot of BYU fans made the same mistake leading up to the TCU and Utah games.

UNM is a big time trap game for them, and given their history of struggling down in Albuquerque that game is anything but a gimme.
I totally agree.

The only benefit I can see with the UNM game being where it is, is that we get it after a bye week...so hopefully there will not be a letdown...but UNM potentially coming off two big wins will be fired up and ready to go.

The last week of the season could be really fun...Utah/BYU and TCU/Air Force should be great games.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I hate Gary Patterson more than Whittingham. I actually like Kyle and wanted him to be our HC. I'd still like him as our HC if Bronco were ever to leave. I don't know that I'll be rooting for the Utes, but it'd sure be nice to ruin their perfect season and send Boise to the BCS again since our BCS hopes are over.

The best part about this game is one of them has to lose.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

I worried about this yesterday after running a few scenarios through the Collie matrix. The human polls I think give BYU the edge over Utah as BYU's one loss would be on the road against a top 25 team while Utah's would be at home against a top 25 team. Just an (uneducated) guess.

I'm waiting until November 15th to see how the season's played out to date.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I totally agree.

The only benefit I can see with the UNM game being where it is, is that we get it after a bye week...so hopefully there will not be a letdown...but UNM potentially coming off two big wins will be fired up and ready to go.

The last week of the season could be really fun...Utah/BYU and TCU/Air Force should be great games.
It really is a big benefit to play New Mexico after a bye. Their defense is not easy to prepare for. It was one that you only see once a year. You can kind of compare preparing for the New Mexico D like preparing for Air Force's offense. They also have extremely good athletes on that side of the ball. Their 2 corners are really good and are extremely good in man coverage.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
It really is a big benefit to play New Mexico after a bye. Their defense is not easy to prepare for. It was one that you only see once a year. You can kind of compare preparing for the New Mexico D like preparing for Air Force's offense. They also have extremely good athletes on that side of the ball. Their 2 corners are really good and are extremely good in man coverage.
I agree. This and the fact that UNM has really been a thorn in Utah's side for the last number of years really makes this a tough test for the Utes.

I'm one Ute fan that sees the possibility for Utah to lose the next three conference games. The conference title may be there for the Utes taking, but they're going to be in for some huge fights to take it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Unless you are speaking in the locker room to the boys, rooting doesn't matter. It wont change the outcome.

That said, wear your frog hat. If you don't have one, I'll send you mine from Thursday.
Another excellent point. It's a good thing you and DDD are around to keep us all in the realms of serious journalism.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Another excellent point. It's a good thing you and DDD are around to keep us all in the realms of serious journalism.
Dont bring me into this. I am going to wait until after all the games are finished on Saturday and the come here and post all the amazing reasons why teams lost and why I knew all along that the teams that lost were at risk of losing.

Also, if Texas loses, I will immediately decry all of the weaknesses of that team and hop on the bandwagon of the new #1 team. If texas wins, I will declare them unbeatable.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote