cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Whoa there, Doc. Have a little patience. I agree with the points you have made.

While I think the church is wrong to fight to ban gay marriage as a result of the court decision, I would probably not be on the front lines pushing for gay marriage. Similarly, I don't see myself out there actively campaigning to legalize polygamy, but I would object if the church joined another political battle if the courts somehow decided that polygamy should be legalized. Does that make sense?
Is your grounds that it is improper for the church to become involved in civic matters? Or you just don't care enough to fight for it, as it doesn't affect you? Or something else?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Is your grounds that it is improper for the church to become involved in civic matters? Or you just don't care enough to fight for it, as it doesn't affect you? Or something else?
All of the above, I suppose. As for gay marriage, we have discussed this ad nauseum, so you probably know where I stand. If gays want the benefits of marriage I don't see many good reasons to object. I certainly don't believe it would cheapen my marriage. I am actually more repulsed by polygamy than gay marriage since I think it is sexist (as typically practiced) and makes women subservient to men. Nevertheless, it seems hypocritical to oppose one and not the other. But I am certainly not going to campaign for a legalization of polygamy.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agreed.
Do you limit "married/partner" status to two people?
Probably. Just so people don't abuse the tax codes by declaring multiple spouses.

In France, "concubinage" is an official term for cohabitating couples. Maybe some type of intermediary status would be possible for multiple dependents. But I'm sure there are all sorts of ramifications I can't imagine.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
All of the above, I suppose. As for gay marriage, we have discussed this ad nauseum, so you probably know where I stand. If gays want the benefits of marriage I don't see many good reasons to object. I certainly don't believe it would cheapen my marriage. I am actually more repulsed by polygamy than gay marriage since I think it is sexist (as typically practiced) and makes women subservient to men. Nevertheless, it seems hypocritical to oppose one and not the other. But I am certainly not going to campaign for a legalization of polygamy.
I would argue that LDS marriage (as typically practiced) makes women subservient to men, but that's a whole other thread...

What brought the subject up for me today was an interview with a polygamist on mormonstories.org that I listened to on the way to work. She struck me as intelligent, educated, articulate, and very modern in her thinking. In fact, I found her much more tolerant and reasoned in most of her views than the average person in my ward. While she admitted that abuses of power did occur (she was very critical of the Warren Jeffs FLDS sect), she believed that polygamy, practiced well, was not sexist at all. In fact, she points out that many are in a situation where the women can alternate child-rearing responsibilities and thus get out of the house to pursue career opportunities.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
she believed that polygamy, practiced well, was not sexist at all. In fact, she points out that many are in a situation where the women can alternate child-rearing responsibilities and thus get out of the house to pursue career opportunities.
Polygamy, as well as frontier living, made Utah one of the most progressive states in terms of women's suffrage. Left alone in a remote corner of Utah while Father visited the other families, a lot of women developed rather strong streaks of independence.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would argue that LDS marriage (as typically practiced) makes women subservient to men, but that's a whole other thread...

What brought the subject up for me today was an interview with a polygamist on mormonstories.org that I listened to on the way to work. She struck me as intelligent, educated, articulate, and very modern in her thinking. In fact, I found her much more tolerant and reasoned in most of her views than the average person in my ward. While she admitted that abuses of power did occur (she was very critical of the Warren Jeffs FLDS sect), she believed that polygamy, practiced well, was not sexist at all. In fact, she points out that many are in a situation where the women can alternate child-rearing responsibilities and thus get out of the house to pursue career opportunities.
Lack of economic independence makes women in marriage subservient to men, in some degree. If she has independent income, the status of a woman rises, because she may make decisions independently. That's not saying where the independence isn't practiced or exercised, but the dependence upon the man for revenue creates subservience, IMHO.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

One man paired with multiple women, but not the other way around. Doesn't sound terribly progressive to me.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
What does everyone think about legalizing/decriminalizing polygamy (when it involves consenting adults)?
This analogy has always been way off base. Polygamy is a choice, being gay is not. There are good public policy reasons for making polygamy illegal. It is oppresive to women.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This analogy has always been way off base. Polygamy is a choice, being gay is not. There are good public policy reasons for making polygamy illegal. It is oppresive to women.
There are good public policy reasons for making polygamy legal--in fact, the same ones as there are for making homosexual marriage legal.

By the way, you're not allowed to comment on this thread until you've had a polygamist over for dinner.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
By the way, you're not allowed to comment on this thread until you've had a polygamist over for dinner.
Mike's rule. Always good for a laugh, lol!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote