cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default BYU highlights on ESPN

I admit that Saturday nights and Sunday mornings are the toughest times for me to catch ESPN, but I've tried a little harder lately to see if there's any BYU talk. I have yet to catch a game highlight on SportsCenter. As they're going down through the top 25 in the highlights, they skip right over BYU. Am I just missing it? Do they not have rights to the video because of the mtn/vs/cstv deal? Is it an intentional slight?

I don't get it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I don't get it.
I don't either, because they've been on at least the last three weeks.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I don't either, because they've been on at least the last three weeks.
They're on later in the week. I admit that I could've missed it the last two weeks, but I watched almost all of SportsCenter last night and they skipped right over them. Were they really on last night? What time?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

ESPN is a BCS shill. It may start out paying attention to non-BCS teams that are ranked the first few weeks of the season, but as the season progresses it will focus more and more on the BCS teams.

No surprise that it's not spending time covering BYU or any other team for that matter.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
ESPN is a BCS shill. It may start out paying attention to non-BCS teams that are ranked the first few weeks of the season, but as the season progresses it will focus more and more on the BCS teams.

No surprise that it's not spending time covering BYU or any other team for that matter.
I don't think BYU should be their focus, but as they were rounding out the top 25, it was like they weren't even there. Or Utah, for that matter. I'm really wondering if it's a video rights thing.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

Quote:
They're on later in the week. I admit that I could've missed it the last two weeks, but I watched almost all of SportsCenter last night and they skipped right over them. Were they really on last night? What time?
I've seen them on Sunday mornings the last three weeks. I've already seen them on ESPNEWS this morning. They're being shown.

For what it's worth, in the same repeating 30 minute ESPNEWS clip, I haven't seen Ohio State, South Florida or Penn State highlights.

Last edited by TheSizzle36; 09-21-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think BYU should be their focus, but as they were rounding out the top 25, it was like they weren't even there. Or Utah, for that matter. I'm really wondering if it's a video rights thing.
I'm not saying the Y should be their focus, I'm just pointing out that ESPN is in bed with the BCS/ABC and it will focus more on those teams.

I'm serious when I say that ESPN is a BCS shill. The mtn. and VS. allow ESPN to show clips of MWC games. ESPN chooses to not use it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I've seen them on Sunday mornings the last three weeks. I've already seen them on ESPNEWS this morning. They're being shown.
Like I said, I could've missed it, especially on Sunday, because we have early church. Have you ever seen them on Saturday night/evening? I haven't, which is why I wonder if it's a video rights/access thing.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Like I said, I could've missed it, especially on Sunday, because we have early church. Have you ever seen them on Saturday night/evening? I haven't, which is why I wonder if it's a video rights/access thing.
they get decent coverage on college gameday final. mack's winning touchdown is one of the pontiac game changing plays for this week.

http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/pontiacgcp/
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
TheSizzle36

Quote:
I don't usually stay up late to watch, so I don't know. I doubt it is a rights/access thing though as it would certainly be in the conference and networks best interest to make the footage available.

On ESPNEWS they just used BYU as the feature heading into their next commercial break.