cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/he...tml?ref=health

What does everyone think about this? I have my thoughts, but I'm curious to hear the patient side.
The only reason this scares me is because there are very serious illnesses out there with very common symptoms. And I do think that sometimes patients have to be consistent if their pain or symptoms never go away. What do you think Doctors?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
how exactly do you prescribe a placebo?
Prescribing something that has no proven benefit just to be doing something. Antibiotics are probably the commonest example. Homeopathic remedies would be another. You could also potentially add antidepressants, neuropathy drugs, and others to the list.

The problem with antibiotics is that C. Difficile colitis (a superinfection of your intestine that results from antibiotics killing off the normal flora in your gut) is becoming more and more common, and dangerous--I've seen patients have to get a colectomy from this.

Last edited by ERCougar; 10-24-2008 at 10:24 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
The only reason this scares me is because there are very serious illnesses out there with very common symptoms. And I do think that sometimes patients have to be consistent if their pain or symptoms never go away. What do you think Doctors?
I don't think this happens very much. It's the doctor's job to be looking out for serious causes to your symptoms. Placebo prescribing occurs after this search has revealed nothing serious, but the patient remains unsatisfied.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not all drugs are physiologically dependency creating. Some are only psychologically so.
Well duh, of course Arch, but I was just offering another perspective.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm curious how the placebo thing works here in California. I assume it's state law (but perhaps it's only Kaiser policy) that when one receives a new prescription, a pharmacist has to come from behind the magic curtain and patiently explain, with the weariness of a mother telling her kid for the 1,000th time why he has to take a bath, what the drug does, how to take it, and what the possible side effects may be.

I'd love to overhear the pharmacist make an honest presentation when a placebo is involved: "Okay, this drug does absolutely nothing, and has no side effects, unless you are allergic to water or sawdust, in which case you'll die, but that's okay since you're such a loser at life that there are multiple people on your healthcare team who have to participate in a charade so that you can delude yourself into thinking you're recovering from a nonexistent illness. Do you have any questions?"

Seriously, how does a pharmicist explain a placebo without either commiting an ethical violation or blowing the charade?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I'm curious how the placebo thing works here in California. I assume it's state law (but perhaps it's only Kaiser policy) that when one receives a new prescription, a pharmacist has to come from behind the magic curtain and patiently explain, with the weariness of a mother telling her kid for the 1,000th time why he has to take a bath, what the drug does, how to take it, and what the possible side effects may be.

I'd love to overhear the pharmacist make an honest presentation when a placebo is involved: "Okay, this drug does absolutely nothing, and has no side effects, unless you are allergic to water or sawdust, in which case you'll die, but that's okay since you're such a loser at life that there are multiple people on your healthcare team who have to participate in a charade so that you can delude yourself into thinking you're recovering from a nonexistent illness. Do you have any questions?"

Seriously, how does a pharmicist explain a placebo without either commiting an ethical violation or blowing the charade?

The article said sometimes doctors prescribe OTC type drugs (like ibuprofen) which either doesn't need a prescription or can be prescribed with minimal instruction.

Alternatively, my guess is the doctors keep some of those tiny little sugar balls that cake decorators use in little pill bottles and when presented with a true wacko they pull these out, tell the patient to take 5 each day but not to tell anyone, because these are the magic pills to cure his disease that the doctor would like to give everybody but can't due to a vast drug industry conspiracy.

Or, maybe not.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Give me an example of a prescribed placebo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/he...tml?ref=health

What does everyone think about this? I have my thoughts, but I'm curious to hear the patient side.
And how the pharmacy would fill that prescription and yet charge the patient.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #18
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

so how do you know if you're getting a placebo? what will the bottle say?