cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default MLM hits the preschool

I got the following letter yesterday (addressed to my 4-yo daughter):

Dear Emily,
This is a book exchange. That's right, a book exchange. Send ONE book to the child listed at #1 below. Then, sned a copy of this letter to SIX friends. Move my name to the #1 spot and put your name on the #2 spot. This is NOT a chain letter--it's for fun!!

If you can't do this in one week, please let my mom know, because it's unfair to the children who have participated and are waiting for their own special books to arrive.

A manila envelope will mail the new book nicely and you should receive 36 books if everyone participates. Seldome does anyone drop out, as you know, us kids love to receive mail as well as books. You should receive your books in about two weeks...if you get your letters out right away!

It will be lots of fun, but let me know if you can't ASAP.
Thanks and enjoy your books!!!

Sincerely,
Hope

Unbelievable. The second paragraph's my favorite..."it's unfair to the children who have participated and are waiting for their own special books to arrive". It's so unfair that she's only going to get 35 books for the one she sent out! And I love how they call it a book "exchange". And that "seldom does anyone drop out".

What makes me so mad about this is that my daughter was so excited to get a letter in the mail, and it turns out to be this crap. How do you explain to a 4 yo that you don't think it's right to participate in pyramid schemes?

GRRR...
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I got the following letter yesterday (addressed to my 4-yo daughter):

Dear Emily,
This is a book exchange. That's right, a book exchange. Send ONE book to the child listed at #1 below. Then, sned a copy of this letter to SIX friends. Move my name to the #1 spot and put your name on the #2 spot. This is NOT a chain letter--it's for fun!!

If you can't do this in one week, please let my mom know, because it's unfair to the children who have participated and are waiting for their own special books to arrive.

A manila envelope will mail the new book nicely and you should receive 36 books if everyone participates. Seldome does anyone drop out, as you know, us kids love to receive mail as well as books. You should receive your books in about two weeks...if you get your letters out right away!

It will be lots of fun, but let me know if you can't ASAP.
Thanks and enjoy your books!!!

Sincerely,
Hope

Unbelievable. The second paragraph's my favorite..."it's unfair to the children who have participated and are waiting for their own special books to arrive". It's so unfair that she's only going to get 35 books for the one she sent out! And I love how they call it a book "exchange". And that "seldom does anyone drop out".

What makes me so mad about this is that my daughter was so excited to get a letter in the mail, and it turns out to be this crap. How do you explain to a 4 yo that you don't think it's right to participate in pyramid schemes?

GRRR...
I like the part about how it's not a chain letter.

We got one of these, too, but it wasn't books. My kid couldn't read yet and I trashed it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Go to the DI, get a box of the dumbest books you can find, text books, old year books, reader's digest condensed books, national geographics. Put the little girl's name on it and drop it on their porch.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Go to the DI, get a box of the dumbest books you can find, text books, old year books, reader's digest condensed books, national geographics. Put the little girl's name on it and drop it on their porch.
My wife were brainstorming our response last night, but I think this may beat all of our ideas.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote