cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #61
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I can't believe I'm that close to the top still. I think people are embarassed to be considered orthodox. Shame on you guys. Have confidence in who you are.

I'm extremely Orthodox in my behaviors. But I'm not so Orthodox in my beliefs.
Your belief concerning the balance of grace and works should put you at best in the middle. I am probably closer to SU than how I have ended up, but that is what I get for answering before others.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #62
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can't believe I'm that close to the top still. I think people are embarassed to be considered orthodox. Shame on you guys. Have confidence in who you are.

I'm extremely Orthodox in my behaviors. But I'm not so Orthodox in my beliefs.
I'm with you santos...
I'd consider myself very unorthodox in some of my beliefs but I do go to Church every week I'm not working, I do my HT, I pay tithing, and I do my calling. So maybe I do belong at the top. But I see at least one former EQP below me, and I feel fairly confident I'll never be called as an EQP if the bishop knew my feelings on a few issues.
I see that at least exUte thought I was implying something negative about those at the top, when in reality, I'm completely neutral. I respect those who sincerely believe much more than those who want to either appear mullah-ish or "cool". There's a significant part of me who really respects Tex and Indy for standing up for a position that (ironically) doesn't seem to be very popular on the board. Same goes to SU. I don't agree with either one of them, but at least there's no posturing involved.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #63
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm with you santos...
I'd consider myself very unorthodox in some of my beliefs but I do go to Church every week I'm not working, I do my HT, I pay tithing, and I do my calling. So maybe I do belong at the top. But I see at least one former EQP below me, and I feel fairly confident I'll never be called as an EQP if the bishop knew my feelings on a few issues.
I see that at least exUte thought I was implying something negative about those at the top, when in reality, I'm completely neutral. I respect those who sincerely believe much more than those who want to either appear mullah-ish or "cool". There's a significant part of me who really respects Tex and Indy for standing up for a position that (ironically) doesn't seem to be very popular on the board. Same goes to SU. I don't agree with either one of them, but at least there's no posturing involved.
With Tex, I think it comes from a real shame based view of the world. And deep down he views himself as a sinner and hates himself for it. His piling on of sinners in his posts is really piling on himself.

With Indy, it's just his pathological need to defend the system any system. It's like an Asian, authority-figure-worship thing. Deep down he doesn't even believe half the stuff he posts--about Crowton or the general authorities.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #64
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With Tex, I think it comes from a real shame based view of the world. And deep down he views himself as a sinner and hates himself for it. His piling on of sinners in his posts is really piling on himself.
Fortunately, my excessive self-loathing has never driven me to accept the Satanic plan as the promise of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #65
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Fortunately, my excessive self-loathing has never driven me to accept the Satanic plan as the promise of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
That is lucky. Unfortunately you've believed Satan's lies to you that you're not good enough for CK.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #66
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is lucky. Unfortunately you've believed Satan's lies to you that you're not good enough for CK.
No, but you've believed Satan's lies to you that repentance turns on a dime.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #67
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
With Indy, it's just his pathological need to defend the system any system. It's like an Asian, authority-figure-worship thing. Deep down he doesn't even believe half the stuff he posts--about Crowton or the general authorities.
And you have a pathological need to twist what people say to justify your position. I just hope you have good fire insurance for all those strawmen you have lying around.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #68
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

What's with the controversy? It's not an "assholeness" poll. I think it's interesting to see how the rankings develop.

I'd think that the more orthodox would be proud of their orthodoxy, and the non-orthodox be proud of their non-orthodoxy, and those in the middle be proud of their moderateness.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote