cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A sad story that I hope doesn't get sadder

Bringing Tori back - Utah teen going to China for stem-cell treatment

I saw a BBC report about a year ago on this clinic. They followed a man suffering from ALS and his family that made the same trip. A lot of hope before leaving for China and as treatments begin, even some small signs of regression of the disease. But as time progressed, no remarkable changes and eventual disappointment that the treatment didn’t work. BBC tried but could find no one that benefited from the treatment.

I can understand the despair and helplessness people feel in such circumstances, and hope by some miracle that this story has a happy ending.

I think the D-News is being a little irresponsible here in tying this very questionable treatment to the stem cell issue. Very odd.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

As the parent of a handicapped child, there are three things I want to say about this.

1. I think myboynoah's skepticism is totally justified. In my experience, groups that claim to offer non-traditional miracle treatments are just hoping to benefit materially from the desperation of heartbroken parents. My heart aches for this family.

2. I would love to know if there's any actual scientific basis for the use of adult stem cells in this manner.

3. In a related matter, I noticed this yesterday on BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6231099.stm

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 01-08-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: yes I really can count to 3. oh. and I can paste links too. Maybe.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a cousin who was diagnosed with breast cancer and given 6 months to a year to live. She tried every unconventional treatment under the sun, including multiple trips to Mexico for treatments not approved in the U.S. She ended up living another 9 years before she finally succumbed to the cancer. After seeing her experience, I'm no longer as skeptical as I used to be when it comes to non-traditional treatments.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I have a cousin who was diagnosed with breast cancer and given 6 months to a year to live. She tried every unconventional treatment under the sun, including multiple trips to Mexico for treatments not approved in the U.S. She ended up living another 9 years before she finally succumbed to the cancer. After seeing her experience, I'm no longer as skeptical as I used to be when it comes to non-traditional treatments.
How sad that she wasn't able to fully conquer the illness. Sounds like she was a very smart and determined woman.

In my post, I was speaking only of treatments for brain injury, but I wasn't very clear about that.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote