cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lake Powell
Not too fun for me, to each his own. 7 21.88%
Yuck! 0 0%
I love it. 19 59.38%
Blow up that dam. 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #41
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I heard gas on the lake is encroaching $6.50.

My parents typically take two jaunts down to Powell per year. I was doing the math with my dad for gas prices for a 5 day excursion and we estimated about 1k to tow boat, play around and return.
I'm guessing you'd have a bit more elbow room down there this year.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #42
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I'm guessing you'd have a bit more elbow room down there this year.
I would think so. I went boating on Pineview two weekends ago and for a Saturday the dam was extremely slow. I would bet it wasn't half as full as a typical Saturday would have been a year ago.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Just got back after a week on the Lake. We own a share in a houseboat so it is an annual tradition for our family. With friends and family we had about 20 people with two ski boats and a bass boat. We absolutely love it.

The key to sleeping well at night is to pick a spot with some circulation. Protected coves are great for shade, but they get hot at night.

Stripers are boiling (top-feeding on shad) this year in the evenings and in the mornings. Fishing to boiling stripers is a blast.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #44
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

How's the water level? A few years ago it was 20' low.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #45
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just got back after a week on the Lake. We own a share in a houseboat so it is an annual tradition for our family. With friends and family we had about 20 people with two ski boats and a bass boat. We absolutely love it.

The key to sleeping well at night is to pick a spot with some circulation. Protected coves are great for shade, but they get hot at night.

Stripers are boiling (top-feeding on shad) this year in the evenings and in the mornings. Fishing to boiling stripers is a blast.
I am so jealous of you right now. It's been ten years since I've been to Powell, I need to get back there.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
How's the water level? A few years ago it was 20' low.
I think it got down 120' feet at the lowest point in the drought. It was 2/3 empty. It is the highest now than it has been in quite a few years. But I would guess that it is still down 50' or so from the highest level.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

As to Mike's comments on the cost, it is not as bad as one might think. We own a houseboat share (one prime week and one off-prime week per year) in a 25-year old houseboat. Nice and roomy, but not one of the deluxe versions so the share wasn't too much and the annual fees are reasonable. However, we don't own a boat so we invite family members and friends who own boats. That way we spread the costs around and everyone wins.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #48
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

In college, I was doing a national radio story and I did it on Lake Powell. I interviewed Jim Hansen who was the congressman then and I asked him about draining Lake Powell and he gave a quote that made my story a hit: "I will not let them drain that lake. They will drain Lake Powell over my dead body."

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #49
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
In college, I was doing a national radio story and I did it on Lake Powell. I interviewed Jim Hansen who was the congressman then and I asked him about draining Lake Powell and he gave a quote that made my story a hit: "I will not let them drain that lake. They will drain Lake Powell over my dead body."
We get it. You've met Jim Hansen. Hey everybody, look how important UteStar is. He has met the former 1st Congressional District of Utah representative and interviewed him for radio. I hope you drop his name on your foot!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #50
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
We get it. You've met Jim Hansen. Hey everybody, look how important UteStar is. He has met the former 1st Congressional District of Utah representative and interviewed him for radio. I hope you drop his name on your foot!
It is funny that you say that...because right now on the former US congressmen messageboard, a poster is saying to Jim Hansen: 'We get it, you met UteStar, you are so important, woooo!'

I think sometimes you forget how awesome I am.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote