cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
There is a slippery slope here sure but members should not have to foot the bill for church programs they are called to run. Give the bishop a choice. He either reimburses you or you take it out of your tithing.
that's not a conversation I want to have.

There is no budget.

I was exec. sec. under 2 bishops, and there was never once a budget planning session.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #12
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

There is no budget.

I was exec. sec. under 2 bishops, and there was never once a budget planning session.
I've been the financial secretary... there is always Admin budget that the bishop never uses.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I've been the financial secretary... there is always Admin budget that the bishop never uses.
I've already CC'd the ward clerk on the issue, and how we were likely to be short, and how I would cover the shortfall. The response was "I need the money on Sunday because I am being audited."

Come to think of it, maybe I won't show up on Sunday. Why should I care about his audit.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 06-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

There is no budget.

So what conversation do you want to have? Not enough money budgeted for scouting? No organization to raise money for scouting in your ward (we did a fund raiser this year to raise money)? No money at all budgeted for scouting in your ward? No actual budgeting at all in your ward? No input from you? I'm confused.

I see you have several options, among them:

1) Submit for reimbursement no matter the scouting budget level. Let "them" worry about it.

2) Like MRD suggests, take the shortfall out of your tithing. I know it doesn't follow the letter of the handbook, but I really don't see that as a factor.

3) Make parents pony up for their kids' expenses, as you suggest.

4) Pay yourself and shutup, chalking it up to those extra expenses we all pay in conjunction with our callings.

5) Resign, stating your principled reasons for doing so.

6) Any combination of the above.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the solution is to have some fundraisers. of course this means more time, work, and $ from me to pull it off. the committee does nothing for me. I might insist that the committee be in charge of the money-raising, as they should be.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the solution is to have some fundraisers. of course this means more time, work, and $ from me to pull it off. the committee does nothing for me. I might insist that the committee be in charge of the money-raising, as they should be.
Now you are finally getting somewhere. If you are contemplating moving and/or resigning, why the reluctance to take a stand on the budget?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Now you are finally getting somewhere. If you are contemplating moving and/or resigning, why the reluctance to take a stand on the budget?
I told my father that perhaps I should cancel all campouts until there is a budget, and he said "good idea", which surprised me.

He also said that it is verboten, strongly discouraged to financially shoulder programs in the church in his stake. In my stake, our high councilman said "the stake president knows about the financial sacrifices you make in your callings, and he appreciates it."

But my burned-out-ness has little to do with money. Lack of money is just a symptom of a bigger problem. The burden of coming up with a program, of dealing with mealy mouthed kids, parents not supporting, parents not picking up their kids after campouts or meetings, the vacation time, the time away from family, etc.

We simply don't have the resources. I would love to fold my troop into a another troop in my stake. but the powers that be won't allow it.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I told my father that perhaps I should cancel all campouts until there is a budget, and he said "good idea", which surprised me.

He also said that it is verboten, strongly discouraged to financially shoulder programs in the church in his stake. In my stake, our high councilman said "the stake president knows about the financial sacrifices you make in your callings, and he appreciates it."

But my burned-out-ness has little to do with money. Lack of money is just a symptom of a bigger problem. The burden of coming up with a program, of dealing with mealy mouthed kids, parents not supporting, parents not picking up their kids after campouts or meetings, the vacation time, the time away from family, etc.

We simply don't have the resources. I would love to fold my troop into a another troop in my stake. but the powers that be won't allow it.
That's too bad, but inevitable I suppose. I lasted as long as I did for two reasons: excellent support and I had boys in the program.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm still waiting for one of the lawyers to answer whether they would go to scout camp 2 weeks before their bar exam, btw.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Many of you would make excellent Bishops. You would be good at counseling people who were burned out in their callings.

Of course, it will probably never occur to you why you can't fill out the calling roster, and why people keep saying no.