cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why would some idiot want to shoot the wolf? I would shoot him if he was shooting the wolf. In the leg.
I need to introduce you to a rancher/farmer hunter and ask him. Nothing gets them more fired up then the wolf issue.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I need to introduce you to a rancher/farmer hunter and ask him. Nothing gets them more fired up then the wolf issue.
When the wolf carries a gun and can shoot it, I'll understand his position. Until then, he needs to grow up.

Btw, there is a foundation that pays ranchers for their losses due to wolves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/pla...llowstone.html

I figure I am one of an extremely minuscule percentage of Americans to have seen a wolf in the wild (yellowstone).
Wow. That's great. I've seen a lynx and grizzley bear in the wild. In Alaska. Never a wolf though I always wanted to. I always wanted to see a wolverine too. Has anyone seen one of those in the wild?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been lucky enough to see a Grey Wolf in the wild, but my wife's youngest brother who served a mission in Alaska was lucky enough to have seen several of them.

Someday, I hope to see one.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road
Default We have a cabin in Island Park...

and I've spent countless days in Yellowstone. I've seen everything in the park except for a wolf. We always go to Lamar Valley to try and spot them, but to no avail.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut99002 View Post
and I've spent countless days in Yellowstone. I've seen everything in the park except for a wolf. We always go to Lamar Valley to try and spot them, but to no avail.
Farrah's family has a cabin there as well. Farrah spotted the wolves I saw in Lamar Valley. I had my spotting scope so I was able to follow them for a long time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

There is no doubt in my mind that seeing a wolf in the wild would be a "thrilling" experience. I have no desire to experience that kind of a thrill. I'm even less interested in seeing a bear. Bears freak me out. I went camping in Yosemite a few years ago, and the whole time I was there I was afraid that a bear was going to come barreling out of the woods and maul me. The claim that loud noises scare them off, so I kept a whistle around my neck at all times. I never want to see a wild bear.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why would some idiot want to shoot the wolf? I would shoot him if he was shooting the wolf. In the leg.
Cattle ranchers get real catankerous about them critters. For some reason they take umbrage to the wolves' diets, especially when it includes their hard earned assets.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
When the wolf carries a gun and can shoot it, I'll understand his position. Until then, he needs to grow up.

Btw, there is a foundation that pays ranchers for their losses due to wolves.
I understand it pays them only for FMV of the cow. I believe the FMV is what it would be sold for if it was sold for beef. Usually cows only go to slaughter when they are no longer good for reproducing. If a wolf eats a 3 year old the real cost to that rancher is a lot higher than the FMV for sending that cow to slaughter as the rancher loses 6-9 years of offspring.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/pla...llowstone.html

I figure I am one of an extremely minuscule percentage of Americans to have seen a wolf in the wild (yellowstone).
I saw a wolf at the base of the Grand Tetons heading up for a hike. The guy I was with lamented not having his rifle to shoot the bugger. He is a dentist who lives in American Falls, ID but grew up in the Teton Valley. He just believes predators and civilization don't blend real well. He didn't like Clinton either, so at least he is consistent.