cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #101
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm not talking about free speech. I'm talking about getting rid of God in all things public. Why do liberals fear the 10 commandments - you know, the rules that Jesus made - being displayed on public property?

Are you talking about the church not allowing people to protest the church on private property, but on the public sidewalks adjacent to the property?
No, I'm talking about the "free speech zones" that conservatives have set up a few times when the protesters are saying things they didn't like. I don't know if they are still in use.

The reason why I don't want the 10 commandments displayed on public property should be extremely obvious. It is tacit approval of religious dogma by the state. You shouldn't approve of it either unless you don't mind a star of david or the 99 names of Allah on your courthouse.

I think a better question is why you want the 10 commandments displayed and not something actually insightful like the beattitudes? Can you imagine "blessed are the merciful" being displayed on a courthouse? that'd be funny and might actually get some dialogue going. The 10 commandments are either obvious or unconstitutional, every one.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #102
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
No, I'm talking about the "free speech zones" that conservatives have set up a few times when the protesters are saying things they didn't like. I don't know if they are still in use.

The reason why I don't want the 10 commandments displayed on public property should be extremely obvious. It is tacit approval of religious dogma by the state. You shouldn't approve of it either unless you don't mind a star of david or the 99 names of Allah on your courthouse.

I think a better question is why you want the 10 commandments displayed and not something actually insightful like the beattitudes? Can you imagine "blessed are the merciful" being displayed on a courthouse? that'd be funny and might actually get some dialogue going. The 10 commandments are either obvious or unconstitutional, every one.
Did I say that I want the 10 commandments displayed? I'm talking about the left's intolerance of religion in general.

And where are these free speech zones you're talking about? Are these the same ones that all politicians like to use so a contrary point of view can't be spoken at their rallies?

I'd say that in today's climate, the left would bitch and moan about the Beatitudes being displayed because they come from the Bible.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #103
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
His position on Iraq is unteneble in a general election, especially as things settle down post-surge.

This is all silly, he's not going to get the nomination.
It's too early to say (obviously) but given how things went in Iowa, I think he stands a very good chance.

Of course, if you think the long Clinton knives came out before...

Quote:
Why do you think that? Do you really think America will respond to mindless bloodthirst over reason?
Exhibit A as to why a war chicken like Obama is so popular among the Democrats.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #104
woot

Quote:
Did I say that I want the 10 commandments displayed? I'm talking about the left's intolerance of religion in general.

And where are these free speech zones you're talking about? Are these the same ones that all politicians like to use so a contrary point of view can't be spoken at their rallies?

I'd say that in today's climate, the left would bitch and moan about the Beatitudes being displayed because they come from the Bible.
I think you're confused. The "left" is extremely tolerant of religion, to a fault. It's the right who started "Islamo-fascism awareness month" and all that other shit. I personally don't care much for religion, and that leads me to have lots of issues with the "left." The left tries to be inclusive, and that includes religion. The right is exclusive of anything that doesn't conform to what they consider normal, which includes non-christians, gays, immigrants, formerly blacks, etc.

And I would also be against the beatitudes being displayed, I'm just saying at least they represent something other than brainless piety. If you're going to blatantly ignore the constitution, at least do it for a reason other than to put a "we believe in the bible" stamp on your property.

The free speech zones you can look up. I don't know much about them.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #105
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's too early to say (obviously) but given how things went in Iowa, I think he stands a very good chance.

Of course, if you think the long Clinton knives came out before...

Exhibit A as to why a war chicken like Obama is so popular among the Democrats.
Are you serious? Did you really say "war chicken"? I've seen some retardation for the sake of machismo in my time but that might take the cake. Not enlightened, or reasoned, or cautious, or caring, or responsible, but "war chicken"? That's too much.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #106
Tex

Quote:
Not enlightened, or reasoned, or cautious, or caring, or responsible, but "war chicken"? That's too much.
Indeed. Calling Obama's position on Iraq/foreign relations "enlightened, or reasoned, or cautious, or caring, or responsible" would be too much.

With the exception of Joe Biden, and maybe Hillary Clinton on an off day, the Democrats cannot wave the white flag vigorously enough in front of our enemies.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #107
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you're confused. The "left" is extremely tolerant of religion, to a fault. It's the right who started "Islamo-fascism awareness month" and all that other shit. I personally don't care much for religion, and that leads me to have lots of issues with the "left." The left tries to be inclusive, and that includes religion. The right is exclusive of anything that doesn't conform to what they consider normal, which includes non-christians, gays, immigrants, formerly blacks, etc.

And I would also be against the beatitudes being displayed, I'm just saying at least they represent something other than brainless piety. If you're going to blatantly ignore the constitution, at least do it for a reason other than to put a "we believe in the bible" stamp on your property.

The free speech zones you can look up. I don't know much about them.
The left is tolerant of religion? To a fault? Are you sure?

Maybe outside of Utah it is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #108
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. Calling Obama's position on Iraq/foreign relations "enlightened, or reasoned, or cautious, or caring, or responsible" would be too much.

With the exception of Joe Biden, and maybe Hillary Clinton on an off day, the Democrats cannot wave the white flag vigorously enough in front of our enemies.
That's brainless propaganda. We aren't fighting a war, so surrender isn't an option. We are occupying a foreign country, and the sensible among us think that's a bad idea.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #109
Tex

Quote:
We aren't fighting a war
Funniest line of the evening. I think I'll retire to bed tonight with a smile just thinking about this kind of denial.

Thanks, woot.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #110
woot

Quote:
The left is tolerant of religion? To a fault? Are you sure?

Maybe outside of Utah it is.
I don't know how it is in Utah, but keep in mind that the left is tolerant of all religion, which means that it probably won't support Mormon attempts to wield influence that it deems unconstitutional. I understand how the left could be seen as intolerant in the midst of such a dominantly religious society, but elsewhere in the world, the liberals are installing footwashing stations in bathrooms so the muslims will stop killing themselves trying to use a sink, etc.