cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #21
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I like you already.
Are you always this easy to please?

Let me score more points, then. I did watch some of the video from your pastor on the election, and I wholeheartedly agree. I'm no fan of Obama, but last week, my 11 year old daughter asked if we could move to Canada if Obama wins. I told her that if he wins, he is my president, and deserves my respect, even though I may strongly disagree with much of what he does.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Are you always this easy to please?

Let me score more points, then. I did watch some of the video from your pastor on the election, and I wholeheartedly agree. I'm no fan of Obama, but last week, my 11 year old daughter asked if we could move to Canada if Obama wins. I told her that if he wins, he is my president, and deserves my respect, even though I may strongly disagree with much of what he does.
Are you always this much of a kiss ass?

"Deserves your respect"? When has the opposition ever accorded the same to Republicans? Not likely.

A contrary position would be if people consciously disrespected him, we would rob him of some of his power to govern which is a good thing. It is exactly what happened to Bush in the last two years. So if we preemptively disrespect Obama, with truthful, non racist information, then we will be doing ourselves a service.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

"Deserves your respect"? When has the opposition ever accorded the same to Republicans? Not likely.

A contrary position would be if people consciously disrespected him, we would rob him of some of his power to govern which is a good thing. It is exactly what happened to Bush in the last two years. So if we preemptively disrespect Obama, with truthful, non racist information, then we will be doing ourselves a service.
Good point. that would be a much better answer for his 11 year old daughter.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #24
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
oh, now that's just too funny.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #25
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
One can disagree with our leadership, or even engage in civil disobedience, without resorting to disrespect or dishonor. The respect and honor are owed the office, and by extension the person residing therein, but not necessarily the policies he espouses.

As far as "when has the opposition ever accorded the same," that's hardly his point. This was not a lesson about Republicans versus Democrats. This was a lesson about believers versus unbelievers. If the attitude and response of the believers toward government is the same as those of the unbelievers, then what's the point?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
One can disagree with our leadership, or even engage in civil disobedience, without resorting to disrespect or dishonor. The respect and honor are owed the office, and by extension the person residing therein, but not necessarily the policies he espouses.

As far as "when has the opposition ever accorded the same," that's hardly his point. This was not a lesson about Republicans versus Democrats. This was a lesson about believers versus unbelievers. If the attitude and response of the believers toward government is the same as those of the unbelievers, then what's the point?
Abbie Hoffman effectively operated in this fashion. If we wish to neuter the office of its power, we can disrespect it. I don't see the benefit in a powerful office of the President. I'd prefer to see an impotent office, from the perspective of my policy toward government.

I'm not certain I understand your definition of "believer", please elaborate what you mean by this.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Believers of what?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #28
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Believers of what?
we're talking about a lesson I posted from my church in religion.

The minister was talking about the believer's response to political leadership.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ok, I'm with you now.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #30
Archaea

Quote:

Okay, so you're referring back to that.

Now I understand. I tend to view politics as a battleground, much like guerrilla warfare, where you fight tooth and nails, because every participant is evil, so destruction of any of the players is no loss.

But that perspective presented by your pastor is one worth contemplating. And Fowler's Stages of Faith in its universalizing chapters alludes to something similar.