cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default McCain- for withdrawal before he was against it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...d_n_99082.html
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, good luck with that one.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It's a legitimate point after all of the name calling of the last few election cycles that has sufficed as campaigning.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
McCain is going to struggle with foreign policy. First of all, he is on the wrong side of public opinion on the war. He has stumbled several times in describing the relationship between al-Qaeda, Iran, Iraq, the Sunnis and the Shiites. His quotes on Iraq as of 3 years ago were very different than today, which undermines his message of consistency. He has been a hawk with Russia and Iran at a time when Americans overwhelmingly are looking for less hostile foreign relations. His "100 year" quote certainly won't go over well either, and the DCCC is already running an ad featuring McCain's quote. He is opposed to torture which doesn't help him with his base. I don't think the Dems will need much luck with that one.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
It's a legitimate point after all of the name calling of the last few election cycles that has sufficed as campaigning.
It may be a completely legit point, but it's not going to stick. It's not sexy, it's a nuanced point, and the Dems are trying to paint McCain as a guy who wants to stay at war in Iraq for 100 years and their case would be hurt by trotting out this info. If their strategy is to try and stick a flip-flopper label on McCain, they need to find something more damning.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"I would hope that we could bring them all home," he said on MSNBC. "I would hope that we would probably leave some military advisers, as we have in other countries, to help them with their training and equipment and that kind of stuff."
Yeah, that's a pretty categorical statement. Besides, there's a distinct difference between personal wishes and reconciling those personal wishes with harsh reality.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
McCain is going to struggle with foreign policy. First of all, he is on the wrong side of public opinion on the war. He has stumbled several times in describing the relationship between al-Qaeda, Iran, Iraq, the Sunnis and the Shiites. His quotes on Iraq as of 3 years ago were very different than today, which undermines his message of consistency. He has been a hawk with Russia and Iran at a time when Americans overwhelmingly are looking for less hostile foreign relations. His "100 year" quote certainly won't go over well either, and the DCCC is already running an ad featuring McCain's quote. He is opposed to torture which doesn't help him with his base. I don't think the Dems will need much luck with that one.
I hope that debate comes. McCain will eat Obama's lunch.

Americans are very schizo on the war. Who doesn't want to disengage? That's a given. It's how to do that and under what circumstances. Obama has set a definite time table, from which his advisor then backed away. He has little idea what he really wants to do.

I welcome that debate. Even good luck won't help Obama.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 04-29-2008 at 02:35 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

That is what this is all about, he "hopes" we don't have to stay there. Dang, imagine if he said I "hope" we have to stay there and all hell breaks out in the middle east.

So if Roosevelt had said, "I hope we don't have to go to war with Japan", I guess he was a flip flopper when Japan attacked us and we went to war.

Weak Cali, very weak.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I wish McCain weren't our nominee, but thinking foreign policy is going to be his weak side is foolish.

Wishful thinking.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I wish McCain weren't our nominee, but thinking foreign policy is going to be his weak side is foolish.

Wishful thinking.
McCain is having enough trouble keeping his facts straight when he isn't being attacked. Fortunately for him, he has had Lieberman next to him to help him out in the past. Short of Lieberman holding his hand during a debate, I don't think Dems have much to worry about from McCain on foreign policy.

You may agree with his views, but that doesn't mean he is good at articulating them. I wonder how Mitt Romney feels about McCain's quotes above.