cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Per Nelson, this policy of not blessing or baptizing children is endorsed by Quentin L. Cook (another apostle), who was previously stake president in San Francisco, who describes ministering to 17 men in his stake who died of AIDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1_bW5dtfQ

And of course there is Todd Christofferson whose brother is gay, was excommunicated, and reactivated in the ward in his area with his partner. There were media reports about this. I've been told that the most recent news is that the brother has been rebaptized and has divorced/broken up with his prior life partner.

Anyway, it's not like this policy was unanimous due to pure lack of ignorance when it comes to gay persons. These two are clearly documented to have worked with and been around gay men.

I would love to sit down with both of these men, look them in the eye, and ask them to explain to me how they came about these decisions. These two men. Not the other men.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 01-14-2016 at 05:54 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Per Nelson, this policy of not blessing or baptizing children is endorsed by Quentin L. Cook (another apostle), who was previously stake president in San Francisco, who describes ministering to 17 men in his stake who died of AIDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1_bW5dtfQ

And of course there is Todd Christofferson whose brother is gay, was excommunicated, and reactivated in the ward in his area with his partner. There were media reports about this. I've been told that the most recent news is that the brother has been rebaptized and has divorced/broken up with his prior life partner.

Anyway, it's not like this policy was unanimous due to pure lack of ignorance when it comes to gay persons. These two are clearly documented to have worked with and been around gay men.

I would love to sit down with both of these men, look them in the eye, and ask them to explain to me how they came about these decisions. These two men. Not the other men.

That would never happen. If you tried, you'd be shut down immediately and if not sent off to excommunication. Discussion and dissent are not currently allowed in the Church culture.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Of course it wouldn't happen. This is not how the church works. You don't get to actually sit down and break bread and talk or discuss or debate.

We are just the grunts in the trenches, getting our marching orders.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Of course it wouldn't happen. This is not how the church works. You don't get to actually sit down and break bread and talk or discuss or debate.

We are just the grunts in the trenches, getting our marching orders.
When you are disgruntled, Sundays have a lot of free time.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The worst thing about the LDS Church is the GAs. I don't care what any of them think.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

leadership by teleprompter can only take the people so far. Obama has shown us that also.