cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grant Hardy book on Imperial China

http://www.amazon.com/Establishment-...3528622&sr=1-5

Does this mean that Hardy is prominent in research on topics not necessarily germane to Mormonism so that when he turns his eyes to his own religion, he will have more credibility?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the book peer-reviewed? Is it well-received within his discipline? One book does not a scholar make.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

Upon further examination it's a high-school text. The glossary has the definition of a dynasty.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
ghardy

ghardy is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure that academic expertise in another field will give me much credibility in dealing with the Book of Mormon, but you're looking at the wrong book. The Establishment of the Han Empire and Imperial China is part of a series aimed at high school and lower-division college students; it's not a scholarly work. But Worlds of Bronze and Bamboo (1999) was a peer-reviewed monograph published by one of the most prestigious academic presses in the country (Columbia UP) and was positively reviewed in international journals. And I was the co-editor (along with a scholar from Princeton) of the first volume of the Oxford History of Historical Writing, which was published earlier this year.
ghardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardy View Post
I'm not sure that academic expertise in another field will give me much credibility in dealing with the Book of Mormon, but you're looking at the wrong book. The Establishment of the Han Empire and Imperial China is part of a series aimed at high school and lower-division college students; it's not a scholarly work. But Worlds of Bronze and Bamboo (1999) was a peer-reviewed monograph published by one of the most prestigious academic presses in the country (Columbia UP) and was positively reviewed in international journals. And I was the co-editor (along with a scholar from Princeton) of the first volume of the Oxford History of Historical Writing, which was published earlier this year.
Hardy jiaoshou: Xixie nide bucong. Great Minds of Eastern Intellectual Traditions jianglai huibuhui chengwei yinshua de banben? Xiwang ni you yi tian nengou chu Eastern thought de xiezuo. Wo feichang xihuan Understanding the Book of Mormon. Dangzuo jiaoyou, wo ye shi Neo-Confucian zexuejia Chu Hsi de houyi. Hen peifu nide versatility; xiang Bo Jackson yiyang.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Chino, that would be easier if you just put in the characters. Or at least put in 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's please.