cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

View Poll Results: Are you living beyond your means?
yes 7 24.14%
no 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Wow, we are kindred spirits. I have 4 kids in a 3 bed 2 bath house of about 1400 sq/ft. We like the place. I have 9 years left on my mortgage and I bought it at a rock bottom price of $90K. Other than our home we have no debt.
That is what I want to have. I plan on adding on about 250 sq feet in the form of a master bed and bath.

We bought ours at 87 K but it may cost close to that much to add on. I am waiting for most of the contractors to be really hurting iwth the slow down so I can get better prices.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

buy a storage shed, put it next to your house and cut a door in your hose to the storage shed. Caulk the seal between the shed and the house. Put up a layer of thin insulation and then drywall that sucker. Run an extension cord for your light behind the dry wall. Cut yourself a window for the air condition unit. Done.

Much less than 87k.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
buy a storage shed, put it next to your house and cut a door in your hose to the storage shed. Caulk the seal between the shed and the house. Put up a layer of thin insulation and then drywall that sucker. Run an extension cord for your light behind the dry wall. Cut yourself a window for the air condition unit. Done.

Much less than 87k.
In South County, much of the new construction for townhomes comes with these weird 2 car garages, known as "tandem" garages. Basically, instead of 2-wide, the garage is 2-deep. Stupid concept because if you need to get the front car out, you have to move the rear car out of the way.

What many folks are doing......using their tandem garage as a 1-car garage. They put up a drywall halfway through their garage, mud and tape it, and convert the back end of the garage into a regular room. It connect to the main house just as the old garage door would. I have seen them used mostly as play room for kids. This totally violates the CCRs as well as the local building codes, but it is much cheaper than paying for the extra bedroom.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Much less than 87k.
"I built my house of sticks, I built my house of twigs. With a hey diddle diddle, I play my fiddle, and dance all kind of jigs."

For an emergency preparedness obsessive, you're sure satisfied with crappy houses that can't withstand a gnat's fart.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
"I built my house of sticks, I built my house of twigs. With a hey diddle diddle, I play my fiddle, and dance all kind of jigs."

For an emergency preparedness obsessive, you're sure satisfied with crappy houses that can't withstand a gnat's fart.
like I wouldn't use some ropes and stakes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say I've probably been living beyond my means. I bought my home less than a year ago, so for me, it's a pretty big mortgage. My home isn't big, but it's sufficient for now. I have 2 car payments and am still going to school. 2nd baby comes in December.

That said, I'm cutting back on a lot of stuff and rearranging our spending. So we're starting to live within our means now.

My road bike is paid off.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

I'm definitely living beyond my means. Like Fletch, I foolishly squander my paycheck on food and heat.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Any idea what the pastor's salary is? The late Adrian Rogers who built the Bellevue Baptist megachurch in Memphis (seating 7500) was pulling down over $1 million per year from his sermons and radio show.

I posted on CB a while ago I was watching that show My Super Sweet 16 on MTV, the girls dad was a pastor he lived in about a 15000 sq ft house on the water in Baltimore. One of the biggest houses I ahve ever seen, and he spent close to 2 million on his daughters birthday.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
he spent close to 2 million on his daughters birthday.
Awesome.

I added up what we spent altogether on my 9-year-old's birthday this week and I was flabbergasted. My parents would be horrified.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I could take over a 50% cut in my earnings and I would be able to afford my house, my cars, and the likes. I am sure I would have to scale down donations, vacations and other frivolous activities when I have to make that adjustment. I think I live well within my means.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote