cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I think the vegetarian lifestyle is unhealthy

I've observed that vegens and vegetarians tend to be overweight. Also, if you go in their restaurants and bakeries there is an obsession with desserts--there is a huge selection, they are front and center, and the portions are huge. I think vegens and vegetarians compensate by loading up on carbs and sweets--not refined sugar, mind you, cane juice (as if it mattered).

Food for thought, anyway.

Flame away.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've observed that vegens and vegetarians tend to be overweight. Also, if you go in their restaurants and bakeries there is an obsession with desserts--there is a huge selection, they are front and center, and the portions are huge. I think vegens and vegetarians compensate by loading up on carbs and sweets--not refined sugar, mind you, cane juice (as if it mattered).

Flame away.
No need to flame when I'm in agreement.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife was a vegetarian when we first married and she had been for seven years. She gradually became a carnivore and lost a bit of weight in the process. I think it was the reduction of carbs.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
My wife was a vegetarian when we first married and she had been for seven years. She gradually became a carnivore and lost a bit of weight in the process. I think it was the reduction of carbs.
Interesting. I was a vegetarian for 6 years. I quit after I got pregnant with my son and really craved a burger. Once I lost all the baby weight, I maintained a weight approximately 5 pounds less than when I was a veg. But I always figured it had more to do with leaving the workforce and being at home where no one brings me donuts and no one keeps jars of candy on their desk.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Flame away.
Vegetarianism done right is healthier. My cousin is a vegetarian. She eats a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. She is thin and fit. She likes her sweets but I don't think she overdoes it. I have a friend who is a vegetarian, but from what I can tell, she pretty much eats the same crappy, overly-processed American diet, just sans meat.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Vegetarianism done right is healthier. My cousin is a vegetarian. She eats a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. She is thin and fit. She likes her sweets but I don't think she overdoes it. I have a friend who is a vegetarian, but from what I can tell, she pretty much eats the same crappy, overly-processed American diet, just sans meat.
It takes a lot more effort to be a healthy vegetarian. A lot of vegetarians I know won't take the time to make something well-balanced and filling. They will grab fast food (sure, the tofu corn dogs might be more healthy than the real thing, but they are still processed) or some other handy processed food to eat.

I've tried to cook one veg meal a week, and I have a hard time coming up with a good variety. I have more success with incorporating a little meat, and filling the rest of the plate with veggies, grains, and legumes.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I call them twinkie-terians.

They are fat and they eat junk food.

I was almost a vegetarian during college. I didn't buy meat very often.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Flame away.
You know, I went vegetarian a year ago. I was curious about this "great feeling" you get that they claim only comes from a vegetarian lifestyle.

I can tell you with certainty that I have experienced and identified that "unique feeling"...it's called hunger.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You know, I went vegetarian a year ago. I was curious about this "great feeling" you get that they claim only comes from a vegetarian lifestyle.

I can tell you with certainty that I have experienced and identified that "unique feeling"...it's called hunger.
What the hell has come over you Babs? You change your voter registration from R to D. You declare for Obama. Now you've become a vegetarian? You live in Norman, not Austin. Act like it dammit!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the missionaries in the ward is an extreme vegan, very extreme. He never smiles.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote