cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #51
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The Obamessiah. Case in point.

A black person getting very excited about the prospect of seeing a black president in her lifetime. Wow, shocking.

The odd thing is your insistence at using the word Messiah in such a mocking way. It cheapens the term. I know you are only kidding and are trying to be clever about how Obama supporters are excited about their candidate, but how interesting that you are so willing to toss that term around in a lightminded and almost negative way.

Good for you, Tex. Keep up the good work. Maybe you can start making a few stigmata jokes as Election Day wears on.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
A black person getting very excited about the prospect of seeing a black president in her lifetime. Wow, shocking.

The odd thing is your insistence at using the word Messiah in such a mocking way. It cheapens the term. I know you are only kidding and are trying to be clever about how Obama supporters are excited about their candidate, but how interesting that you are so willing to toss that term around in a lightminded and almost negative way.

Good for you, Tex. Keep up the good work. Maybe you can start making a few stigmata jokes as Election Day wears on.
You just killed the Muppet Show.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #53
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Count on it. If he doesn't, you guys can feel free to give me a considerable amount of grief for being wrong.
I hope you are wrong. I don't want rioting in the streets. I forgot the combo to my gun safe and it will take me about 1 week to get it from the manufacturer.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You just killed the Muppet Show.
Again tex, your one-liner repertoire is weak, very weak.

in looking at your sig line, as well as your repeated mocking of black people getting excited about Obama.....it all points to one thing.

Could you not find clips of white people getting excited about Obama?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #55
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can upload something to youtube real quick.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #56
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That would be shocking. How do you think he would get to 270? It is almost impossible at this point, barring almost universal mistakes in polling.
Why do polling anyway? What is the purpose? Can you imagine the excitement if you had no idea who was ahead or behind and by how much the day before election? The turnout would be even greater.

A thought came to me the other night on this subject. I am thinking of starting a website called "www.lietothepollsters.com". Theme: "Make election day exciting again".

Do you think it would fly?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've forwarded your request to NBC 6 News in Miami.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #58
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The next president is DOA. You are eating crow no matter what. Neither Bronco Mendenhall nor Lavell Edwards could turn this mess around in 4 years.
Agreed. The next president will go down as one of the worst. It's a lose-lose for either one of them. Too much bad stuff going on right now and you can't spend yourself out of the mess.

But then again Ohbama might be able to make that man in the wheelchair Biden was encouraging to stand up, to actually be healed and stand up.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #59
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Can you point me to any presidential candidate in our lifetimes (use mine, for maximum coverage) who didn't overpromise?

Some more than others, to be sure. I remember Carter doing so in '76, and W did so in 2000. A few days ago, I came across an e-mail from a friend from my youth. He was a rabid liberal in high school and he and I would go at it all the time. Sometime after his years at Cal, he took a huge right turn. A few days before the 2000 election I expressed serious misgivings about W, even though I ended up voting for him. My erstwhile friend sent me the following reassuring e-mail a few days before that election:

"I'll get back to you tomorrow, but hang in there with my man Dubya. He'll do just fine. Remember what a bonehead we former liberals all thought Reagan was, but by the time he ran for President he got my vote twice. Same with GeorgeW -- he is more conservative than his father, and is
only toning down his message because the press wants him to look like a fire-breather. Wait until he gets in with a Republican Congress -- let's see, a flat tax (or consumption), IRS restriction, school vouchers, prayer allowed at football games, three or four right-thinking justices on the Supreme Court, a rebuilt military (and get rid of all women, they're warriors godammit), etc. How's that for starters? We have never had this condition in our or our parents' lifetimes - Republican President and Congress. Please don't give up hope. We can do it." A prophet my friend was not.

On the other hand, I had to smile at a news report this morning that Obama has put together a team whose principal function is to lower expectations for his first term. Duh. Ironically, Sarah Palin would require no such team.
Amazing how many college graduate become switch hitters after they are out of school and start earning money to see how much is taken from them to fund government. I had a surgeon friend who was as left wing as possible while in school. the transformation only took 6 months after he entered residency.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #60
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Of course they are, as supporters tend to be (see, e.g., my friend's comments).

BTW, though I realize this will provide no deterrent to you, I think the Limbaugh-esque plays on names that exUte, Snipe, and apparently you, find so endearing are both insipid and belie a lack of confidence. And yes, I feel very much the same way about lefties who do the same, and for that matter, the endless references by sports fans in the rivalry to Kryle, Donko, etc.

I read zingers like "Obamamoonies" and think, "man, this guy's got nothin'." You can offer some compelling arguments; don't blow it.
Worse than associating Bush to Hitler?

Here's a new one: Ohblahblahblahblahblahbama. But it takes too long to spell every time.