cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think it will die down, until the inevitable question is asked to the owner of the lawn care company: did Romney, in fact, speak to you a year ago about not hiring illegals. If he says no, it will get ugly in a hurry.
Do expect the owner to be honest?

Hi, Mr. You-broke-the-Law-but-we'll-let- you-off-if-you-help-us-indict Governor Romney, G. Romney didn't tell you to back off, did he, wink, wink?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do expect the owner to be honest?

Hi, Mr. You-broke-the-Law-but-we'll-let- you-off-if-you-help-us-indict Governor Romney, G. Romney didn't tell you to back off, did he, wink, wink?
No, not at all. Which is precisely why I keep saying this is trouble for him.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 AM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
I don't see the owner of a company using illegals looking to get under the lights and talk about why he used illegals. What's he going to say, "I asked Romney if it was OK that I use illegals," and he said, "no problem." Not credible.
No- not at all.

Romney is the one who said he spoke with the owner and told him never to use illegals again or he would fire the company. That is according to Romney. It is Romney's excuse for why he didn't fire them in the first place. If that story isn't true, then Romney lied, AND Romney did nothing to a company that he knew had used illegals in the past (which looks awful).

So, the obvious question is: did he really talk to the owner and say what he claims. If he did, maybe this blows over quickly. If he didn't (or if the owner says he didn't), then it could get ugly.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, not at all. Which is precisely why I keep saying this is trouble for him.
So since the owner has no incentive to honest, why should the public trust anything he might say?

And if the sole witness is untrustworthy, does it matter to anybody but Democrats?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #35
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ork_at_ro.html

I still don't blame Romney for this (assuming what he says is true about meeting with the company), but this is exceptionally embarrassing.
I hate that the immigration issue has come to this idiocy. I've probably hired illegals to work in my yard before. I don't check their legal status and I don't give a crap what it is. I only care if they do a good job and 99% of the time they do and I pay them accordingly. I hate how xenophobic we're becoming for no good reason, IMO.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #36
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I hate that the immigration issue has come to this idiocy. I've probably hired illegals to work in my yard before. I don't check their legal status and I don't give a crap what it is. I only care if they do a good job and 99% of the time they do and I pay them accordingly. I hate how xenophobic we're becoming for no good reason, IMO.
Well, at least you didn't play the race card.

But nice strawman, nonetheless. It's not xenophobia to require people entering our country to do so legally. I am not against immigration. Immigration is great. America was built on immigrants.

But please come legally.

If you don't give a crap about the law, that's your business. But don't decry people who do as xenophobic.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Well, at least you didn't play the race card.

But nice strawman, nonetheless. It's not xenophobia to require people entering our country to do so legally. I am not against immigration. Immigration is great. America was built on immigrants.

But please come legally.

If you don't give a crap about the law, that's your business. But don't decry people who do as xenophobic.
It's not my job to verify legal status. If I was a business owner, then I would, but I'm not a business owner. If I'm hiring someone for a day job trimming some bushes, it's not.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #38
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's not my job to verify legal status. If I was a business owner, then I would, but I'm not a business owner. If I'm hiring someone for a day job trimming some bushes, it's not.
Exactly. And I don't think business owners should be in the business of enforcing immigration laws either. That is the job of the feds. Rather than worry about who I hire, those federal idiots should be securing the border. Does that make sense, Johnny L?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #39
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Exactly. And I don't think business owners should be in the business of enforcing immigration laws either. That is the job of the feds. Rather than worry about who I hire, those federal idiots should be securing the border. Does that make sense, Johnny L?
The difference is that the employer knows the law about hiring illegals, but ignores it.

Lingo is right here - it is not xenophobic to not want illegals hired by a company doing business in this or any country.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #40
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The difference is that the employer knows the law about hiring illegals, but ignores it.

Lingo is right here - it is not xenophobic to not want illegals hired by a company doing business in this or any country.
I just reject the whole premise that immigration is bad. And no, don't try to split legal and illegal. The laws on the books are based on the idea that immigration must be limited because only very small amounts are not bad. It flies in the face of the laws of economics. And if the laws weren't hyper restrictive there wouldn't be a black market of immigrants. Rather than get worked up about Romney's hiring practices we should be focusing on paying more attention to whether the people entering the country are decent or not and then letting them in when there is demand for their labor. Instead we pretend the current law of everybody stay the hell out unless you marry an American or can program computers makes any sense at all, while ignoring the border completely, and then try to turn employers into a form of border police. That's brain damage! as Cosby would say. Just one of many issues that has turned me into a Libertarian.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-07-2007 at 02:25 AM.