cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Off the wagon again, eh? How long did you last this time? Two days?
Yeah it's all me...I'm the bad guy. Don't expect an apology either.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-26-2007 at 07:03 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This whole thread hits upon one of the reasons why I believe the LDS church is in fact true. When I was inactive one of the reasons is that I did not believe that there was anything that could work for all individuals. I assumed that people are different enough that people would need different approaches to things. I just assumed the LDS church included one approach to salvation.

I have since learned that the church caters to all different types of people. It works for those who want to intellectualize the Gospel. There is no harm in seeking out truth, as long as you maintain a connection to the spirit. Those that need this type of process, are welcome in the Gospel and can obtain further knowledge.

Contrast this with the real hard line types like Rocky. His approach to the Gospel is much simpler, he reads the standard works and the words of the Prophets. He takes a very literal interpretation of every thing. This is in no ways inferior to the above approach, it is just a different approach. The Gospel also accomodates and allows for this approach.

Just look at the Quorum of the 12 Apostles you can find people who are examples of both approaches. These are just the extremes, and there are those in the middle.

So to answer Rocky's questions, it all depends on the person. Some people will fall if they go on this search, because his personality may not support this search and may be swayed to easily. Others may need the intellectual approach to maintain themselves in the Gospel. The beauty of the Gospel is that it recognizes that personalities are different, and accomdates this.
Thank you for being honest in your answer and approach to it.

There are many on here who could learn from you, including me. Of course Arch must think you're an idiot since according to him my question is "unanswerable". Some on here have had no problem answering it.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #33
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
In other words you have no balls and won't answer the question.

Okay.
I don't believe you were looking for answers to your question. You've made it quite clear where you stand and you've never appeared to be the type interested in hearing a differing opinion once your mind is made up. So, I drew the conclusion that you were trolling. I apologize if I'm wrong, because I think it's a question worthy of discussion. But I figured in this case I'd be wasting my time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I don't believe you were looking for answers to your question. You've made it quite clear where you stand and you've never appeared to be the type interested in hearing a differing opinion once your mind is made up. So, I drew the conclusion that you were trolling. I apologize if I'm wrong, because I think it's a question worthy of discussion. But I figured in this case I'd be wasting my time.
Some have answered the question.

It was an honest question, and you chose to believe otherwise and that's fine.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #35
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can we take a vote on this?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Can we take a vote on this?
I know the "intellectuals" on here don't like me shoving their B.S. in their face.

That's their problem. Apparently yours too.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #37
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This whole thread hits upon one of the reasons why I believe the LDS church is in fact true. When I was inactive one of the reasons is that I did not believe that there was anything that could work for all individuals. I assumed that people are different enough that people would need different approaches to things. I just assumed the LDS church included one approach to salvation.

I have since learned that the church caters to all different types of people. It works for those who want to intellectualize the Gospel. There is no harm in seeking out truth, as long as you maintain a connection to the spirit. Those that need this type of process, are welcome in the Gospel and can obtain further knowledge.

Contrast this with the real hard line types like Rocky. His approach to the Gospel is much simpler, he reads the standard works and the words of the Prophets. He takes a very literal interpretation of every thing. This is in no ways inferior to the above approach, it is just a different approach. The Gospel also accomodates and allows for this approach.

Just look at the Quorum of the 12 Apostles you can find people who are examples of both approaches. These are just the extremes, and there are those in the middle.

So to answer Rocky's questions, it all depends on the person. Some people will fall if they go on this search, because his personality may not support this search and may be swayed to easily. Others may need the intellectual approach to maintain themselves in the Gospel. The beauty of the Gospel is that it recognizes that personalities are different, and accomdates this.
This is a good post. Some people--and wards--are better than others when it comes to catering to different types of people, and I think there's room for improvement, but I usually feel welcome and enjoy participating in Church.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The problem, Rocky, is that all of these personal insults you throw out simply serve to destroy any credibility you may have had. I just don't think anyone takes you seriously anymore. It's a pity.

(cue the obligatory "I don't care" reponse)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The problem, Rocky, is that all of these personal insults you throw out simply serve to destroy any credibility you may have had. I just don't think anyone takes you seriously anymore. It's a pity.

(cue the obligatory "I don't care" reponse)
Jeff,

You have no balls.

Rocky.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You hear that Arch! We are going in to business together to create a cologne called "Arrogance." Keep in mind that it was my idea (I actually prompted the outburst from Rocky which led to the idea, so I will take full credit for it) and that I am superior to you.

I think we should actually call it "Arrog-essance." I know this much, we will only make it available to the elite of the elite of the elite. The elite of the elite is simply too pedestrian for my tastes. Add another elite and we can talk. Our business will compose all documents in Latin and we will be required to extend our pinky fingers whenever we take a drink (or we will require our servants to extend their pinky fingers whenever they hold our straws for us to take a drink).

We should probably move to France, and then we should spend all of our time destroying the lives of French people to ensure that they know we are superior to them and don't actually need to live in France to be great.

Finally, we need to form a new church (since we clearly have no future in the Mormon church). I would suggest we call it The Arch of Cali. We don't really have a belief system yet, but I am pretty sure it will at least involve taking up archery in California. Maybe we can shoot at people who are inferior to us (i.e., everyone).
Not even one laugh for my best comedic effort yet! Good thing I have a day job.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote