cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I bet Mao Zedong

Pol Pot, Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin, Saddam Hussein and other vile 20th century dictators would be pretty darn jealous of all the internet attention garnered by Adolph Hitler. Just think of how much harder Mao had to work to become the monster he was, yet Hitler always gets the evil person comparisons. It seems a little unfair.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Pol Pot, Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin, Saddam Hussein and other vile 20th century dictators would be pretty darn jealous of all the internet attention garnered by Adolph Hitler. Just think of how much harder Mao had to work to become the monster he was, yet Hitler always gets the evil person comparisons. It seems a little unfair.
I may have to reread my history but I have it in mind that Stalin is well apart is being the greatest butcher of all in terms of shear numbers. Someone straighten me out if that is not true.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I've recently launched a Saloth Sar promotional campaign to combat this very thing....I want to raise awareness and let people know that there are cooler despots out there than Hitler.

I call my group "Khmer and Say That To My Face!"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I may have to reread my history but I have it in mind that Stalin is well apart is being the greatest butcher of all in terms of shear numbers. Someone straighten me out if that is not true.
That's my understanding as well, though the numbers are pretty difficult to ascertain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bla...ber_of_victims
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Wasn't Stalin at about 20 million?

Do any of you remember when the neo-nazis went on Geraldo in the mid 80s. It was the show where the fight broke out on stage and someone broke Geraldo's nose with a chair. Anyway, during the episode, the audience was peppering the Neo Nazi's with questions about their illogical and hateful stances, and I seem to remember one of the skinheads oft repeating about Stalin and the 20 million coassacks, peasants, and dissidents he killed.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's my understanding as well, though the numbers are pretty difficult to ascertain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bla...ber_of_victims

It appears several reasons explain that.

First, we have a lot more broadcasts of Hitler's atrocities, and a lot more escapees who influence our culture.

Second, Hitler like to memorialize his deeds, whereas Stalin did a lot of his in greater secret.

Third, the Asian despots are Asian and American racism ignores their suffering.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I've recently launched a Saloth Sar promotional campaign to combat this very thing....I want to raise awareness and let people know that there are cooler despots out there than Hitler.

I call my group "Khmer and Say That To My Face!"
lol! It's nice to see others as passionate about this as I am.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It appears several reasons explain that.

First, we have a lot more broadcasts of Hitler's atrocities, and a lot more escapees who influence our culture.

Second, Hitler like to memorialize his deeds, whereas Stalin did a lot of his in greater secret.

Third, the Asian despots are Asian and American racism ignores their suffering.
I see your point, but just once I'd like to see GWB, Dick Cheney or Tex compared to Mao or Stalin instead of Hitler. Is that too much to ask?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I see your point, but just once I'd like to see GWB, Dick Cheney or Tex compared to Mao or Stalin instead of Hitler. Is that too much to ask?
I'm trying to work something in on Obama, but one doesn't look to old Stalinist speeches and think, "wow, that guy had a lot of panache."

One might look at Mao and think, "he has nice teeth just like Obama", but I struggle with the comparisons.

Hitler had Obama like charisma, if you're German. You have understand a German's view of charisma is a lot different than yours and mine. They find arguing about Biblical texts sexually stimulating.

We could compare Bush with the killing fields of Pol Pot I suppose.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Because Hitler had the gumption to kill mostly people from other countries rather than just being satisfied with depopulating his own.

That, and because there isn't strong Russian or Cambodian representation in Hollywood.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote