cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If a black person votes for Obama

only because of his race, does that make the voter a racist? I really don't think so. No more than it makes a Mormon voting for Romney a religious bigot.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
only because of his race, does that make the voter a racist? I really don't think so. No more than it makes a Mormon voting for Romney a religious bigot.
Not necessarily but Obama doesn't transcend his race because he mainly appeals to members of his father's race.

Why is he the candidate of his father's race and of the under thirty crowd? Now, my anecdotal observation about many of the under thirty crowd is that they have a sense of entitlement to everything without a need to accomplish. I wonder if that attaches to why he appeals to members of the under thirties. He caters to those who want to be coddled from cradle to grave, and the do nothing generation harbors that hope.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think you are right. However, in the case of a white guy voting for a white guy because he is white, that is racism. Mike proved it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
the case of a white guy voting for a white guy because he is white
It is not the same thing.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It is not the same thing.

I know. Mike proved it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I think you are right. However, in the case of a white guy voting for a white guy because he is white, that is racism. Mike proved it.
If the white voter chooses the white candidate because the other candidate is black, then that voter is a racist.

I freely admit that I maintain some sentiments of religious bigotry. I will not likely vote for a Scientologist, Wiccan, Mormon fundamentalist, Muslim fundamentalist, or Christian fundamentalist based solely on their religious. The candidate would have to make a very persuasive case to overcome my skepticism about their judgment.

Now, when it comes to black voters voting for a black candidate just because of their race, I completely sympathize with it. Fourty-five years ago blacks were being firehosed in Alabama. They couldn't drink the same water, sleep in the same hotels or sit on the same bus seat as white people. I'm certain it was unimaginable to the students of segregated schools that they would have an opportunity to vote for a black candidate for President of the United States in their lifetime. Those memories are still fresh to most blacks today and I imagine that they don't want to miss an opportunity to vote for the first viable black candidate for president. I don't agree that this is the best criteria for candidate selection, but I understand it and don't think it's racism.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had this debate before. Based on our discussions, it IS rascism, but it may not be objectionable. Go back and look at the definition of rascism that was accepted here.

one on-line definition says this:
  1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
This forum used the second definition. But is it objectionable? different issue.

Last edited by creekster; 05-14-2008 at 04:14 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree with YOhio except I quibble with him calling himself a religious bigot for bias against religious kooks. I submit he has a rational basis, on the merits, for his bias. Religion, unlike skin color, is a choice. It's hard to be a bigot against religion in the same sense as a racist is a bigot.

Creekster, throw away the dictionary when talking bout racism. We're talking about our ethos, our public virtue here, which, for the reasons YO explained, are on his side in this debate.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Minorities cannot be racists. You know this, YOhio.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Creekster, throw away the dictionary when talking bout racism. We're talking about our ethos, our public virtue here, which, for the reasons YO explained, are on his side in this debate.
I don't disagree with you, but playing the grumpy old man role I so relish, I merely point out that this very group settled on a very undiscrimnating menaing of the term rascism but now apparently backs away. HHHmph.