cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Religious bigotry by politicians

Does this count?

Quote:
I [Monsoor Ijaz] asked Mr. Romney whether he would consider including qualified Americans of the Islamic faith in his cabinet as advisers on national security matters, given his position that "jihadism" is the principal foreign policy threat facing America today. He answered, "…based on the numbers of American Muslims [as a percentage] in our population, I cannot see that a cabinet position would be justified. But of course, I would imagine that Muslims could serve at lower levels of my administration."
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1127/p09s01-coop.htm
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

yes
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Generally, I would reiterate: what does a man's faith have to do with his public service, except as it explicitly touches that service?

But I think given the radical Muslim problem we've had the last few years, I'm willing to make an exception in that category. No one would've expected FDR or Truman to take a German or a Japanese person into his cabinet. And yes, I know nationality is not the same thing as religion, but the Muslim extremists are the ones who made it about religion.

I think we have to be very careful about being PC for PC's sake.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He's not being a bigot, but I wouldn't have answered it quite that way. I think population mix is a valid consideration but he should also consider who's most qualified. Cabinet posts are appointed positions.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange that a man whose religion is shared by less than two percent of the nation would have that kind of a view. Good to know that he alone is worthy of such a high office.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Tex

All may not be as it seems.

Quote:
Governor Romney: "… But I also think that suggesting that we have to fill spots based on checking off boxes of various ethnic groups is really a very inappropriate way to think about how we staff positions. I'm very pleased that, among my Cabinet members, for instance, I had several African-American individuals. I had people of different backgrounds. But I don't go in every circumstance I'm in and say, OK, how many African-Americans, how many Hispanic-Americans, how many Asian-Americans, and fill boxes that way. I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill. And, sometimes, it includes many ethnic minorities. And, other times, it includes different minorities. But I'm very pleased with my record." (CNN's "Situation Room," 11/27/07)
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.c...jhkMThmMGY2MzQ

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He's not being a bigot, but I wouldn't have answered it quite that way. I think population mix is a valid consideration but he should also consider who's most qualified. Cabinet posts are appointed positions.
I agree on all accounts. "I fill according to who is most qualified." That should be your answer no matter what.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Generally, I would reiterate: what does a man's faith have to do with his public service, except as it explicitly touches that service?

But I think given the radical Muslim problem we've had the last few years, I'm willing to make an exception in that category. No one would've expected FDR or Truman to take a German or a Japanese person into his cabinet. And yes, I know nationality is not the same thing as religion, but the Muslim extremists are the ones who made it about religion.

I think we have to be very careful about being PC for PC's sake.
would you mind to provide a precise definiton of who a radical muslim might be, after taking a nice trip of mind and soul searching?? and what percent of this one and half billion people are actaully going to this category??

becuase it seems that the term "radical muslim" has been suggested to address any muslim who is opposite to american policies and the strategies have been adopted to keep american interest safe.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
would you mind to provide a precise definiton of who a radical muslim might be, after taking a nice trip of mind and soul searching?? and what percent of this one and half billion people are actaully going to this category??

becuase it seems that the term "radical muslim" has been suggested to address any muslim who is opposite to american policies and the strategies have been adopted to keep american interest safe.
Defining it would be difficult, but any Muslim who accepts a death fatwa as legitimate could be a defining aspect.

So if a Muslim believes and accepts fatwas of death, then in the empirical, modern world, that person is radically religious and irrational, a person to be concerned about.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Tex

Romney denies the claim.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3544666.shtml

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young