cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Um, I'm fairly confident that the overwhelming majority of ALL people, "when confronted with claims of angels and Christ appearing in shafts of light dismiss it as myth or fabrication".

You like to think that the fact that you have fallen away from the Church has more to do with education than it does anything else, but my guess is laziness is the biggest factor.
Be careful, SMR.

You are one or two posts away from CatBlue busting out his old Brothers Karamazov quote on you. The one about cattle.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Be careful, SMR.

You are one or two posts away from CatBlue busting out his old Brothers Karamazov quote on you. The one about cattle.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Um, I'm fairly confident that the overwhelming majority of ALL people, "when confronted with claims of angels and Christ appearing in shafts of light dismiss it as myth or fabrication".

You like to think that the fact that you have fallen away from the Church has more to do with education than it does anything else, but my guess is laziness is the biggest factor.
It's clear to me that the biggest factor in your continued activity is your low level of intelligence, impoverished education, and general inability to think for yourself, which is inbred and maybe the most despicable form of sloth. You're a dolt. Everything you write bespeaks this about you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #24
smokymountainrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's clear to me that the biggest factor in your continued activity is your low level of intelligence, impoverished education, and general inability to think for yourself, which is inbred and maybe the most despicable form of sloth. You're a dolt. Everything you write bespeaks this about you.
Name calling...how fun! Ass clown.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

While I believe you shared spiritual experiences with these friends, in my opinion, other spiritual, emotional, or intellectual experiences could have taken them away from the LDS church. There are a lot of paths to choose from. There's nothing wrong with moving on.

Just as the LDS church has changed over time, so do people's beliefs. But I don't think it's as simple as "they had the truth, now they've rejected it."
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
While I believe you shared spiritual experiences with these friends, in my opinion, other spiritual, emotional, or intellectual experiences could have taken them away from the LDS church. There are a lot of paths to choose from. There's nothing wrong with moving on.

Just as the LDS church has changed over time, so do people's beliefs. But I don't think it's as simple as "they had the truth, now they've rejected it."
"experienced" vs. possessing. Interesting comparison.

Experiences are transitory and part of a journey, but possessions corrode.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Name calling...how fun! Ass clown.
He mutters, dragging knuckles alongside.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #28
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
SU your quote above were not comments directed at me, but, I assume that you believe that not only SMR, but also many of us that remain active in the Church have a low level of intelligence, an impoverished education, and generally cannot think for ourselves, and are sloths. While I am far from being considered an intellectual, my education is limited to an MBA, that I completed while working two jobs, raising a family with 5 kids at the time, and during the last year of school, served as bishop of my ward. While an MBA is not a degree in philosophy or medicine, I don't believe that it constitutes an impoverished education and just based on what little background I have given you about myself, it would be difficult for you to label me a sloth. The commitment I made to my religion came very early in my youth and although over the last 30 years doubts, questions, and weaknessess have surfaced in my self, I cannot deny that experience I had with the "Spirit" that you may attribute to my lack of intelligence or education.

What I believe to be true has come about over many years of self analysis, thought, meditation, and prayer. I may no be able to hold your "jock strap" in a conversation about the philosophies of men, but, I believe that I can hold my own defending my beliefs. It is just fascinating to me how two individuals can be taught the same things about religion and the philosophies of men, yet reach totally different conclusions. That makes life quite enjoyable.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

SO you reject the notion of the truth?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
smokymountainrain

Quote:
He mutters, dragging knuckles alongside.
You're an embarrassment to the city of Seattle.

In all seriousness, if you want to be funny, just share what you might consider a "serious" take on any issue and the unintentional comedy found in your post will suffice.

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-03-2008 at 07:25 PM.