cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
WaterCat

WaterCat
Default Upgrade Downtown SLC: Will it bring back the Mormons?

Salt Lake City has a lower percentage of Mormons per capita compared to the rest of the state. I'm not sure if that is true for downtown as well because I know that there are a number of apartments and homes close to the temple with fair numbers of Mormons but I have to assume that, despite a few very strong wards in that area, the per capita number of Saints is the same as the rest of the city. Young LDS families don't consider that area as a destination spot.

I wonder if this change to downtown will help reverse the exodus. It seems that those two blocks will be very nice but the area on the whole will remain generally undesirable for the typical LDS family. Frankly, I think that the average LDS family has no plans for cosmopolitan city living and would rather stay in the suburbs and master planned communities of the Valley. I could see this as an area that attracts some younger LDS families, but most would probably want out of the area before their children hit high school.

If the changes to those two blocks act as a catalyst to improve the entire area, beyond just church properties, will more LDS families consider living in the heart of the Church? I'm not sure that I would. Any takers here?
WaterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterCat View Post
Salt Lake City has a lower percentage of Mormons per capita compared to the rest of the state. I'm not sure if that is true for downtown as well because I know that there are a number of apartments and homes close to the temple with fair numbers of Mormons but I have to assume that, despite a few very strong wards in that area, the per capita number of Saints is the same as the rest of the city. Young LDS families don't consider that area as a destination spot.

I wonder if this change to downtown will help reverse the exodus. It seems that those two blocks will be very nice but the area on the whole will remain generally undesirable for the typical LDS family. Frankly, I think that the average LDS family has no plans for cosmopolitan city living and would rather stay in the suburbs and master planned communities of the Valley. I could see this as an area that attracts some younger LDS families, but most would probably want out of the area before their children hit high school.

If the changes to those two blocks act as a catalyst to improve the entire area, beyond just church properties, will more LDS families consider living in the heart of the Church? I'm not sure that I would. Any takers here?

I was talking about this with my brother last night. I think an unintentional aspect of the downtown development will be that the area will politically become more liberal than it currently is. I hope that the side effect of this isn't to make the area somewhat more hostile towards the church because of the political beliefs of those moving to the area. They have the opportunity to build a lot of good will here.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is BYU-SLC still a possibility at the downtown site?

I would assume one of three things will happen:

a. GA's will buy condos there.

b. Students from BYU-SLC will live there.

c. Progressive LDS couples will live there.

I don't think the type of enviorment created by urban living developments is attractive to your typical LDS family. I thought SU's comments on the enviorment they will create were fairly accurate.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Is BYU-SLC still a possibility at the downtown site?

I would assume one of three things will happen:

a. GA's will buy condos there.

b. Students from BYU-SLC will live there.

c. Progressive LDS couples will live there.

I don't think the type of enviorment created by urban living developments is attractive to your typical LDS family. I thought SU's comments on the enviorment they will create were fairly accurate.

I believe that LDS Business college already moved to the Triad Center and this will also be part of some redevelopment to include the BYU-SLC extension.

I would love to get my hands on the pro forma for this project.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
WaterCat

WaterCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I was talking about this with my brother last night. I think an unintentional aspect of the downtown development will be that the area will politically become more liberal than it currently is. I hope that the side effect of this isn't to make the area somewhat more hostile towards the church because of the political beliefs of those moving to the area. They have the opportunity to build a lot of good will here.
Right. I see the same. Hip urban areas aren't exactly teeming with LDS families, but they usually have a decent concentration of single Saints, as is the case in LA, DC, or NYC. The problem is that there isn't a strong economic draw to the area that I can see. NYC is a financial center; DC for government and law; LA for film; SLC for what? I see why the Church is taking a special interest in the area. I for one don't want it to become similar to the area around the Mesa, AZ temple - virtually abandoned by Mormons and not particularly safe - but whether or not it becomes the opposite of what the Church stands for or an LDS center is dependent upon the members interest in downtown living, IMO (yes that is an oversimplification). I just don't see much interest. Maybe the BYU-SLC plan is still in the works?
WaterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Right. I see the same. Hip urban areas aren't exactly teeming with LDS families, but they usually have a decent concentration of single Saints, as is the case in LA, DC, or NYC. The problem is that there isn't a strong economic draw to the area that I can see. NYC is a financial center; DC for government and law; LA for film; SLC for what? I see why the Church is taking a special interest in the area. I for one don't want it to become similar to the area around the Mesa, AZ temple - virtually abandoned by Mormons and not particularly safe - but whether or not it becomes the opposite of what the Church stands for or an LDS center is dependent upon the members interest in downtown living, IMO (yes that is an oversimplification). I just don't see much interest. Maybe the BYU-SLC plan is still in the works?
That is, in part, why I think the state and city should cooperate to form an international center. I think SLC would be prime for something like that, and it could draw people from around the world.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
That is, in part, why I think the state and city should cooperate to form an international center. I think SLC would be prime for something like that, and it could draw people from around the world.
I recall reading in the paper a few years ago about an international business hub to be created in SLC. Anybody else remember the idea being floated?

The reasons for the hub, which I believe would be the third of forth of it's kind in the U.S. were strong working individuals, diversity of bi-lingual persons, and the SLC international airport.

It's been a long time, so my specifics may be off. Anyone else remember?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

It was discussed in the past...and I haven't heard much about since then but I wouldn't doubt it if the idea is still being floated. Our company is international and I have been surprised by how many small and medium sized companies in Utah are involved in international work.

I would be interested in bringing my family downtown...but I have no idea how much interest there would be for families to leave the suburbs and do it. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote