cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU and conference expansion

It's painfully obvious that the only BCS conference BYU could possibly go to is the Big 12. And the Big 12 needs 2 teams to have a conference championship. They say they don't need/want a championship. But does anyone really believe that? That they are going to buck the trend and pass on the money and benefits of a championship?

Yet here we are, twiddling our thumbs. What gives?

For one, the Big 12 is held together with bailing wire and elmer's glue. This thing could fall apart at any moment. Nobody in the Big 12 is happy. Especially the smaller schools that see themselves as UT's lapdogs. The appetite to expand via non-BCS schools is just not there when nobody wants to be around in the first place.

Second, what schools do you add, from the non-BCS? If you are going to grant that BYU is one of the schools, which is the other school? Air Force? New Mexico? Houston? They all have their problems. Boise State?

BYU and a BCS school from a different conference? Ok. But which one? And why would anyone in the SEC or Big 10 want to join the Big 12?

I am not optimistic about BYU joining the Big 12. It's hard to see what scenario suddenly tips the balance in favor of BYU.

At some point, the Big 12 will implode, possibly with an SEC expansion. Then what? A conference composed of the leftovers of the Big 12, the MWC, and BYU?

Baylor
BYU
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Missouri
Boise State
Air Force

Would this be a conference to be excited about? It wouldn't be terrible. But certainly wouldn't feel like the promised land.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ogs_bohl_games

Quote:
If you’re asking why ESPN is close to finalizing a deal to link up with Texas as its broadcast partner for the new Longhorn television network for exorbitant figures perhaps approaching $15 million a year, it’s because the worldwide leader is hoping to use this platform as a way to leverage - with Texas’ help - a deal to acquire all of the Big 12’s television rights that will be negotiated next spring. And, yes, we all know Texas has clout. If the other nine members of the reconfigured Big 12 don’t go along, Texas hasn’t minded using its power before and could easily reopen talks with the Pac-12 or go independent. ESPN is positioning itself for the inside track with the Big 12 and squeezing out Fox. One very highly placed Big 12 school official told me this week the other nine schools are holding preliminary discussions about their own networks. To avoid Texas threatening to leave again, the opinion here is the Big 12 must be aggressive and try to strengthen itself against other assaults. That means looking to expand. It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame. I keep hearing Kansas is talking to the Big East. Who would blame the Jayhawks for looking since they were nearly left out in the last realignment merry-go-round?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's painfully obvious that the only BCS conference BYU could possibly go to is the Big 12. And the Big 12 needs 2 teams to have a conference championship. They say they don't need/want a championship. But does anyone really believe that? That they are going to buck the trend and pass on the money and benefits of a championship?

Yet here we are, twiddling our thumbs. What gives?

For one, the Big 12 is held together with bailing wire and elmer's glue. This thing could fall apart at any moment. Nobody in the Big 12 is happy. Especially the smaller schools that see themselves as UT's lapdogs. The appetite to expand via non-BCS schools is just not there when nobody wants to be around in the first place.

Second, what schools do you add, from the non-BCS? If you are going to grant that BYU is one of the schools, which is the other school? Air Force? New Mexico? Houston? They all have their problems. Boise State?

BYU and a BCS school from a different conference? Ok. But which one? And why would anyone in the SEC or Big 10 want to join the Big 12?

I am not optimistic about BYU joining the Big 12. It's hard to see what scenario suddenly tips the balance in favor of BYU.

At some point, the Big 12 will implode, possibly with an SEC expansion. Then what? A conference composed of the leftovers of the Big 12, the MWC, and BYU?

Baylor
BYU
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Missouri
Boise State
Air Force

Would this be a conference to be excited about? It wouldn't be terrible. But certainly wouldn't feel like the promised land.

I like it becaseu it is one that BYU could be expected to win once in a while.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

As I look at these teams again, I expect that Kansas and Kansas State would go to the Big East, and possibly Missouri as well.

That leaves:

Baylor
BYU
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Boise State
Air Force

And then your other castaways:
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV
SDSU
Fresno State
Nevada
Wyoming
Utah State

Pick the best 3. Let's say Fresno State, Nevada, and jeez....I can't think who would be the 3rd best in football. Let's say SDSU.

Baylor
BYU
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Boise State
Air Force
SDSU
Fresno State
Nevada

In this case, you have the WAC/MWC with the addition of Baylor, TT, and ISU.

You are essentially in the same place as when you started. A conference with BYU, TCU, Boise State, and Utah would be more interesting. But Utah blew that up.

Would BYU choose to remain independent, rather than being in the above league? I think it could very well decide that.

So even if the Big 12 blows up, I don't think it helps BYU.

Will the Big 12 expand? Doubtful. Could the Big 12 stomach taking Boise State? Doubtful.

I think we are cooked in terms of conference alignments.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Louisville and BYU to the Big 12?

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2...yu-louisville/
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

FWIW, Chip Brown on twitter:

Quote:
ESPN has told conferences with ESPN TV deals there won't be more money if they expand. Big East/ESPN TV deal up in 2012, when TCU arrives.
It doesn't look like ESPN is pushing Big 12 to expand. Although Big 12 will soon be negotiating new contract.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

The people in Memphis are really fighting hard for a Big 12 invite.

Memphis football is horrible, but the Big 12 doesn't have to worry about that so much since it is already a BCS AQ conference. Memphis is a major media market.

I can't see anyone from another AQ conference leaving for the Big 12, except maybe Arizona and Arizona State, which might give some stability to the conference again. A Pac invasion would be very improbable if Pac teams were leaving for the Big 12.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Louisville and Cincinnati

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote