cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm still waiting for one of the lawyers to answer whether they would go to scout camp 2 weeks before their bar exam, btw.
I probably would not have for the first bar I took, but for the other two I have taken I would have as I only 'studied' ofr few days for numers two and there. Pride compels me to say that I passed all three. Oh, and as to thwe question in the therad, I have given up about three weeks of vacation in the past three years but jmy vacation time is not as limited as yours apparently is, so the time is not as significant, I guess.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #22
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the solution is to have some fundraisers. of course this means more time, work, and $ from me to pull it off. the committee does nothing for me. I might insist that the committee be in charge of the money-raising, as they should be.
How hard is it to ask the activities committee to put on a spaghetti feed as a ward activity and charge $20 per family for dinner? A little face paint for the kids, a pie eating contest between Bishopric members, and a flag ceremony by the scouts and you're good to go.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
How hard is it to ask the activities committee to put on a spaghetti feed as a ward activity and charge $20 per family for dinner? A little face paint for the kids, a pie eating contest between Bishopric members, and a flag ceremony by the scouts and you're good to go.
we will have an auction, but it might not be until the spring.

we will not have another similar ward fund-raising activity before then.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I probably would not have for the first bar I took, but for the other two I have taken I would have as I only 'studied' ofr few days for numers two and there. Pride compels me to say that I passed all three. Oh, and as to thwe question in the therad, I have given up about three weeks of vacation in the past three years but jmy vacation time is not as limited as yours apparently is, so the time is not as significant, I guess.
is there an oral exam in the bar exam?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
is there an oral exam in the bar exam?
No. Nor is there a typing test, thank goodness.

Last edited by creekster; 06-25-2008 at 04:05 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #26
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Next month I start my 5th year as YM President. This year our budget is 1500 dollars. Highest budget in the ward. YW are next with 1200.

Last year our budget was 750. Bishop took 250 away from us in August. We did nothing from August on in Young Mens because of budget. Bishop understood and the parents were pissed.

I got a call from the Stake Presidency and the one in charge of scouting came and had a sit down with me because of some phone calls from parents.

We had...

0 treats at mutual
0 campouts
0 Merit Badges
0 Court of Honors

We did have clinics but didn't purchase any badges.

My wife and I make good money...but I told him I wasn't going to foot the bill and neither were any of my leaders or Scoutmasters. I told him I would be more than willing to take it out of my tithing as would my leaders. We were told that was strictly forbidden.

Sure enough...this year I submitted a proposed budget of 1200. Detailing every campout and merit badge that we would be working on. Also the amount we expected to spend for combined activities. Even detailed out for gas.

When budgets came out we recieved our 1200 allotment from the ward. And a 300 "bonus" from our Stake. When I asked why my Bishop told me that they were impressed with our lofty goals and willingness to put it down in a detailed matter on paper.

Will this help you? No idea. But I already pay 10%. I mentor boys without dads and I help them out with the needs their families have as far as the boys go. Cleats, sporting good stuff and all that. Not to mention the time.

No more from my pocket.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Next month I start my 5th year as YM President. This year our budget is 1500 dollars. Highest budget in the ward. YW are next with 1200.

Last year our budget was 750. Bishop took 250 away from us in August. We did nothing from August on in Young Mens because of budget. Bishop understood and the parents were pissed.

I got a call from the Stake Presidency and the one in charge of scouting came and had a sit down with me because of some phone calls from parents.

We had...

0 treats at mutual
0 campouts
0 Merit Badges
0 Court of Honors

We did have clinics but didn't purchase any badges.

My wife and I make good money...but I told him I wasn't going to foot the bill and neither were any of my leaders or Scoutmasters. I told him I would be more than willing to take it out of my tithing as would my leaders. We were told that was strictly forbidden.

Sure enough...this year I submitted a proposed budget of 1200. Detailing every campout and merit badge that we would be working on. Also the amount we expected to spend for combined activities. Even detailed out for gas.

When budgets came out we recieved our 1200 allotment from the ward. And a 300 "bonus" from our Stake. When I asked why my Bishop told me that they were impressed with our lofty goals and willingness to put it down in a detailed matter on paper.

Will this help you? No idea. But I already pay 10%. I mentor boys without dads and I help them out with the needs their families have as far as the boys go. Cleats, sporting good stuff and all that. Not to mention the time.

No more from my pocket.
this won't happen because my YMP doesn't share your philosophy.

if I rebel, it will be a mini-rebellion. As in not taking my truck on campouts, only taking my sentra, and if there isn't enough space, well a parent is going to have to drive.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #28
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

So did you ever get re-imbursed? What happened? Don't leave us hanging.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
So did you ever get re-imbursed? What happened? Don't leave us hanging.
I got reimbursed for my gas. Sort of. It turned out there was enough money to pay for even those that couldn't afford going, but they insisted that I pay the amount I pledged (which is fine).

I'm still in the dark about future budgeting.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 AM   #30
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I got reimbursed for my gas. Sort of. It turned out there was enough money to pay for even those that couldn't afford going, but they insisted that I pay the amount I pledged (which is fine).

I'm still in the dark about future budgeting.
Your bishopric is bizarre. Mine is constantly harping on me to submit receipts so I can get reimbursed. I know that it's church policy (it's in the handbook or their was a memo, or something) that YM and other leaders shouldn't be asked or pressured to financially support their callings.

If you can afford it and want to, great. But if not, it's the wards responsibility, not yours.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote