cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snow

It's snowing above 2,500' in the Cascades tonight. We have a backpacking trip planed with the boys the second week of July. I checked on the spot last week and it's still under snow after about five miles of trail - not a ton, but it's there. And there will be more snow further up. Not sure what we're going to if we don't get melt. None of the boys sounded very stoked on Sunday when I told them we may have to camp on snow in July.

I may need a bike trip audible in my back pocket.

How's the snow pack/melt in other parts of the West? Is anyone else running into similar issues?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
It's snowing above 2,500' in the Cascades tonight. We have a backpacking trip planed with the boys the second week of July. I checked on the spot last week and it's still under snow after about five miles of trail - not a ton, but it's there. And there will be more snow further up. Not sure what we're going to if we don't get melt. None of the boys sounded very stoked on Sunday when I told them we may have to camp on snow in July.

I may need a bike trip audible in my back pocket.

How's the snow pack/melt in other parts of the West? Is anyone else running into similar issues?
Even though it has been hot lately we still have quite a bit of snow here in the Sierras. Most of my friends are planning lower elevation trips right now and trying to stay below 12,000. It is not that the show is blanketed up there, but on many of hte steep north facing slopes a big snow field creates enough of a hazard that most are smart enough to wait till it melts and hold off till the end of July.

I have no problem dealing with the snow during the summer, but it all depends on the steepness of the slope that you are going to be on. Around here we have some pretty significant slopes that I would not want to take a group of scouts across. But if it was only hiking through an area of snow that didn't have that much risk, it could actually be fun.

What does that elevation profile of your proposed trip look like?
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have heard the horror stories of campers who didn't expect snow and got it. And died or almost died. Always be prepared.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Even though it has been hot lately we still have quite a bit of snow here in the Sierras.
See creekster - SierraS, with an S. And he lives in the Sierras.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Well, your existence is controlled by DNA but you proabbly can't spell the word behind that acronym and your misspelling will nto be correct.

You have been nursing this quite a while, eh?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
lol I must have missed something at some point. But mno making fun of crrekster fro typing, he and I are blood brothers when it comes to typing. I got his back and you mess with him you mess iwth me.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Well, your existence is controlled by DNA but you proabbly can't spell the word behind that acronym and your misspelling will nto be correct.

You have been nursing this quite a while, eh?
Just waiting patiently for the right opportunity, cr33$t3r. And do you really think 14 months is a long time? Hmmm. I guess not all of us can have an eternal perspective.

Deoxyribonucleic acid. So there.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just waiting patiently for the right opportunity, cr33$t3r. And do you really think 14 months is a long time? Hmmm. I guess not all of us can have an eternal perspective.

Deoxyribonucleic acid. So there.
Yes! bluegoose strikes one for all the little guys out there.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
8ballrollin

Well, it looks like it's starting to thaw, so maybe it will not be bad. Here are pics (not mine) from last week from one of the lakes...

I'm going to head up on Saturday to check it out.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
8ballrollin

Check out these conditions from Rainier...I'm glad we're going to the eastern-facing slopes.

Quote:
NOTE: The park received snow as low as 2000 feet on June 10. As of June 12 two parties have attempted the Wonderland Trail and both have failed... one after one night and one after four hours. Conditions are harsh. There WILL BE a late melt-out.

The winter of 2007/2008 has brought a significant amount of snow to the backcountry of Mount Rainier National Park. As of April 29, the season snowfall total is over 800 inches with upwards of 18 feet on the ground at the 5000 foot elevation. Snow may be found covering portions of trails well into August.
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisi...ess-alerts.htm