cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #81
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Better yet, don't bring a sleeping bag. Bring sheets and quilts. There is no reason to bring a sleeping bag, other than ease and convenience, if you are using an air mattress.
What's wrong with ease and convenience?

One of the keys to sleeping well on a campout is staying warm. Especially in Utah mountains where the nights get very cold, even in the heart of summer. I recommend a mummy bag. I am partial to down bags. And wear a stocking cap. It keeps your ears warm and prevents heat loss from the top of your head. It makes a big difference in comfort.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #82
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What's wrong with ease and convenience?

One of the keys to sleeping well on a campout is staying warm. Especially in Utah mountains where the nights get very cold, even in the heart of summer. I recommend a mummy bag. I am partial to down bags. And wear a stocking cap. It keeps your ears warm and prevents heat loss from the top of your head. It makes a big difference in comfort.
Nothing is wrong with it. It's just that some would prefer to sleep with sheets and blankets on a queen size air mattress instead of in a small constricting sleeping bag. Someone like me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #83
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Bluegoose's manual is current. I think the confusion probably comes from a comment in book two of the Handbook of Instructions that:

"When staying in tents, youth may not stay in the tent of an adult leader unless the leader is his or her parent or guardian."
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #84
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Bluegoose's manual is current. I think the confusion probably comes from a comment in book two of the Handbook of Instructions that:

"When staying in tents, youth may not stay in the tent of an adult leader unless the leader is his or her parent or guardian."
Add to that the fact that some Bishops decide to enforce a stricter standard, like mine that still requires fathers to attend all 11-year-old scout campouts. I have no problem with it, I don't mind going when he's just starting out. In fact, we are camping this friday night. Woohoo!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #85
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Add to that the fact that some Bishops decide to enforce a stricter standard, like mine that still requires fathers to attend all 11-year-old scout campouts. I have no problem with it, I don't mind going when he's just starting out. In fact, we are camping this friday night. Woohoo!
I was the 11-yr-old scout leader for five years. (My favorite calling to date, btw) If we had instituted a "fathers must attend campouts" clause, I wonder how many of our scouts would have been able to advance. I rarely could get any fathers to join us.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #86
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was the 11-yr-old scout leader for five years. (My favorite calling to date, btw) If we had instituted a "fathers must attend campouts" clause, I wonder how many of our scouts would have been able to advance. I rarely could get any fathers to join us.
Naturally people are busy, so it is more like "if possible" in our ward. I guess that puts the onus on the dad. He can always claim he can't go, and the boy would still be allowed to attend. In fact, I was the only father attending the last campout.

Like I said, while I prefer a warm bed with my wife to a sleeping bag in a tent listening to boys hoot and hollar all night, I do enjoy the time to be with my son while he still likes me around.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #87
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I agree with this in theory, but there some obvious exceptions, imo. We've got several single moms in our mom who are currently raising teenage and pre-teen boys. Their dads are so far out of the picture its just not reasonable to "require" a dad to attend. I would hope that most bishops would take this into consideration.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #88
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I agree with this in theory, but there some obvious exceptions, imo. We've got several single moms in our mom who are currently raising teenage and pre-teen boys. Their dads are so far out of the picture its just not reasonable to "require" a dad to attend. I would hope that most bishops would take this into consideration.
And ours does. If dads can be there, he wants them there. If not, then no boy is denied the opportunity to go. But the fact that he has his own stricter policy does create some confusion as to what church policy is.