cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 AM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I love when people go camping.

It just means fewer cheapskates taking up space in my hotel because they couldn't get a discounted room on hotels.com.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #32
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

This thread is hilarious if not pathetic. I hunt. I don't have season tickets to BYU because I spend nearly every Saturday from September to January hunting upland game.

I also like to camp and enjoy fishing to a certain extent. Does that make me more manly or tougher than a guy who doesn't like the outdoors? Hell no.

I hunt for two reasons...

1 - It's fun. There is nothing better than walking around the mountains with my Dad, my brother, (my kids when they get older) their dogs and my shorthaired pointer. Watching one of those dogs stop cold on point and then having 10 chuckars fly out of hiding, shooting 2 or 3 of them (on a good day) and then walking up and down the hills for more. It's fun and I get my fat ass a little exercise in the process. Sometimes I'll walk miles, just about killing myself in the process and never see a bird - even then, I'm with my dad and brother and I'm getting exercise. There's nothing better.

2. I enjoy going home, cleaning the birds and then cooking them up for my family that evening.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #33
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
This thread is hilarious if not pathetic. I hunt. I don't have season tickets to BYU because I spend nearly every Saturday from September to January hunting upland game.

I also like to camp and enjoy fishing to a certain extent. Does that make me more manly or tougher than a guy who doesn't like the outdoors? Hell no.

I hunt for two reasons...

1 - It's fun. There is nothing better than walking around the mountains with my Dad, my brother, (my kids when they get older) their dogs and my shorthaired pointer. Watching one of those dogs stop cold on point and then having 10 chuckars fly out of hiding, shooting 2 or 3 of them (on a good day) and then walking up and down the hills for more. It's fun and I get my fat ass a little exercise in the process. Sometimes I'll walk miles, just about killing myself in the process and never see a bird - even then, I'm with my dad and brother and I'm getting exercise. There's nothing better.

2. I enjoy going home, cleaning the birds and then cooking them up for my family that evening.
I understand doing it because you enjoy it. I don't enjoy it but don't want to taint my son's perceptions. If he will enjoy it, all things being equal, I want to support him and be involved. The whole point of this thread, to me, was to find out if others had figured out a way to do this.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I understand doing it because you enjoy it. I don't enjoy it but don't want to taint my son's perceptions. If he will enjoy it, all things being equal, I want to support him and be involved. The whole point of this thread, to me, was to find out if others had figured out a way to do this.
I take my kids camping when the ward goes and I pretend like I like it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind these activities but living in the city makes them inconvenient. And there are loads of preparatory hours for a few hours of fun. I prefer to reverse the preparatory and fun hours.

If it were about me, and not my kids, I could see the fun in the challenge of going ultraman, bring a big knife, a bow with arrows, making snow caves and seeing what one kill and live off with the sweat of one's own efforts. However, camping with kids means, find enough sleeping bags, backpacks, carrying their food for them, and their packs when they're tired, stopping when they wish to, and not pushing yourself to exhaustion having reached the highest peak.

I know it's not possible but I could sense achievement if one could sneak up on a buck, jump onto its back and bring it down mano a mano. Not realistic, because if you've ever been around a wounded buck, you'd know you don't want those antlers swinging at you.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #36
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Okay K-dog, here's the deal. Your son's an infant and I assume your first. Speaking from experience, this dilema is easy when compared to the other challenges you're sure to face.

Arch is right, often you feel like you don't get the return in enjoyment from the investment in preparation. However, it's not about you, it's about your kid.

At most you'll probably be required to go camping with your son maybe 5-6 times (for a very active 11-year-old scouting program). That's it. After that, he's off on his own with the other boy scouts, and by that time, probably won't want you around.

So in answer to your question, fake it.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The handbooks says a parent must attend a campout for an 11yo to attend. However this is limited to 3 times a year.

3 times is not a lot.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #38
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The handbooks says a parent must attend a campout for an 11yo to attend. However this is limited to 3 times a year.

3 times is not a lot.
A parent. Not every parent. Parent involvement for 11 yo scout campouts isn't much different than regular scouts.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

3 times is not a lot.
Our 11-year-olds are pretty active; 3 campouts since we arrived in August. Agree that this is really not that much of a commitment. Why deny a boy the joy of playing with fire?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
A parent. Not every parent. Parent involvement for 11 yo scout campouts isn't much different than regular scouts.
I think it says a parent of the boy. Not any parent. that wouldn't make any sense.

Of course if wards choose not to follow the handbook, and they have the approval of their local leaders and parents--more power to you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote