cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default those hidden costs of scouting

My gas weed-whacker is missing a hose and dripping gas.

The last time I used it was on a campout and let 3 of the boys use it.

If you care about your stuff, never let a scout use or borrow your stuff.

I've seen them break things, and worse, I've seen them refuse to take responsibility or say they are sorry.

Is this how all scouts are, or just ones I encounter?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Sadly, that's pretty universal. I got so tired of my tents and other camping gear getting smashed and ripped up that I told the bishop that we needed to buy troop equipment before we could do any more campouts. He came through like a champ. But I never quite got used to how the boys would treat their own gear. I had one pair of brothers that were particularly bad. They would thrash their own gear and would always leave things behind (sleeping bags, jackets, flashlights, etc.).
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sadly, that's pretty universal. I got so tired of my tents and other camping gear getting smashed and ripped up that I told the bishop that we needed to buy troop equipment before we could do any more campouts. He came through like a champ. But I never quite got used to how the boys would treat their own gear. I had one pair of brothers that were particularly bad. They would thrash their own gear and would always leave things behind (sleeping bags, jackets, flashlights, etc.).
When I was a kid we had troop gear. However, in my ward today all of the kids bring their own gear. I work with the teachers, but the scout master (of the deacons) has already trained them that they have to bring their own gear (tents, etc.) and food (for all meals). He just brings the stoves and a dessert. So this is what they expect by the time they are teachers. Works for me.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's universal. My father-in-law had a riding lawnmower destroyed by the youth at a service project. They decided to use it to cut deep brush and despite the insistence of the youth, it wasn't up to the task. It was cheaper to replace the mower than get replacement parts and have it fixed.

When we were in Explorers our leader had a minivan that was completely trashed after his time in the program. On one particular outing, we were stopped for about an hour in Spanish Fork canyon due to UDOT putting down tar and gravel. We got restless and left the vehicle to screw around. When we came back we tracked massive amounts of hot tar in his van, most of which could never be removed. He also blew out the vans' suspension on a trip to Nutty Putty cave. This van saw numerous trips to ski resorts, Moab, Green River, Uintah mountains, Jazz games, and national parks. Each time inflicting a new scar on the vehicle. When he bought a new van, he kept the old one to use solely for youth trips. This leader was a convert to the church and he had a profound influence on my life. Every time I go back to visit my parents, I take him out to dinner.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
When he bought a new van, he kept the old one to use solely for youth trips.
Sounds like a very good man. I wish I was that nice.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

when I went to summer camp year before last, I bought some cheetos for the boys on the way back. I wonder why there were cheeto handprints on the ceiling upholstery.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote