cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Who's right most of the time?

When it comes to church doctrine and spiritual matters?

Church leaders or "intellectuals"?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Way to set up a strawman, Rocky. Proper dialogue requires the questions be phrased intelligently with a point.

Your refrain, in that you detest intellectualism without understanding it, is tired.

The tensions of administrative leadership who must govern the masses from the center versus intellectuals, who must help define theology, for purposes of helping persons during times of trial and discovery, are healthy.

We do not need a purely intellectual leadership, we need pragmatic leadership, with an eye to rational thought, empirical observation and faith.

In short, I reject your dichotomy as meaningful. It is a stupid, asinine question, unworthy of response.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-07-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Way to set up a strawman, Rocky. Proper dialogue requires the questions be phrased intelligently with a point.

Your refrain, in that you detest intellectualism without understanding it, is tired.

The tensions of administrative leadership who must govern the masses from the center versus intellectuals, who must help define theology, for purposes of helping persons during times of trial and discovery, are healthy.

We do not need a purely intellectual leadership, we need pragmatic leadership, with an eye to rational thought, empirical observation and faith.

In short, I reject your dichotomy as meaningful. It is a stupid, asinine question, unworthy of response.
and yet you responded. Thanks Pavlov.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Rocky, I worry that at some point in your life that you have been hurt by an "intellectual" and you're now lashing out. Did you lose a spelling bee in elementary school to a young "intellectual?" Were you blockaded from the high school library by "intellectuals" who didn't want your kind hanging around their turf? Did an AP Calculus student hit you on the head with his heavy book? What was it? Please know that you can rely on your fellow board members to help you rebound from this trauma and move on.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Rocky, I worry that at some point in your life that you have been hurt by an "intellectual" and you're now lashing out. Did you lose a spelling bee in elementary school to a young "intellectual?" Were you blockaded from the high school library by "intellectuals" who didn't want your kind hanging around their turf? Did an AP Calculus student hit you on the head with his heavy book? What was it? Please know that you can rely on your fellow board members to help you rebound from this trauma and move on.

Most "intellectuals" are good guys, then you've got the ones on here who act like they've been repressed by the Church their whole life and feel like they've found a common bond with the other poor repressed souls and love to believe they're on some higher pedestal of light and learning, and seem to be on some kind of bizarre mission to "enlighten" others, when in reality faith is more poweful than their arrogant ways. Faith is more powerful than "intellectualism".

It's amusing if not anything.

I'm glad someone stupid like me is wise and knows this.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 05-07-2007 at 04:13 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This may surprise some of you here, but I have usually found that the person most often correct is me.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This may surprise some of you here, but I have usually found that the person most often correct is me.
See? Good job. That wasn't so hard now was it?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm glad someone stupid like me is wise and knows this.
You and I may have similar viewpoints on a lot of issues, but I detest the way you present them. My main problem with your tactics is that you pound the drum of faith while withholding charity.

People are given different gifts in this life and they are manifested in different ways. Many people have not been given the same gift of faith that you have, yet you are completely unsympathetic. You expect them to have a similar faith and when they don't, you insult. This is not only rude, but it is gospel cherry picking. I would be impressed with your enormous faith if it were more evident in your interactions with others.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If there were a "right" response all the time we could measure it and decide once and for all who was the wisest and which church is true and then we could build a tower to heaven.

Each point of doctrine or assertion and spiritual matters that the brethren make is subject to interpretation, in each person's mind about whether they are willing to accept it is divinely inspired. In a religion that places an emphasis on personal revelation this is a particularly pertinent mental transaction, and at times, a multiplicity of viewpoints ought to be consulted.

Since this process is so subjective I personally feel there are times when I feel more sympathetic to one viewpoint or another. Generally, for myself only, I have found that Church leaders are often "right", but not exclusively, and I would miss out on a valuable process of accepting and adhering through consent and understanding if I were a mere automaton that accepted without consulting various ideas surrounding church doctrine or spiritual matters. I don't know if that is what you were looking for, but that is how it works for me.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No, it's me. I'm right most of the time.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote