cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Since we're on the subject, I'll throw this one out there

Which I'm sure will really set you all off.

The contents of this forum prove the point of those who caution against becoming too "learned" to where you reach the point that you believe you are too smart and wise for stupid things like faith.

What exactly do you think Christ meant when he said we should be as little children?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Which I'm sure will really set you all off.

The contents of this forum prove the point of those who caution against becoming too "learned" to where you reach the point that you believe you are too smart and wise for stupid things like faith.

What exactly do you think Christ meant when he said we should be as little children?
Do you seriously wonder why people react negatively to this stuff? In essence, you're calling a segment of this board sinners, yet are so surprised at the slightest strike back...
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Do you seriously wonder why people react negatively to this stuff? In essence, you're calling a segment of this board sinners, yet are so surprised at the slightest strike back...
You clearly don't know the history of this board or the posters here if that is how you categorize things.

The "slightest strike back".

Anybody with half a brain who has been in this religion forum for long could only characterize MY posting as the "slightest strike back"
Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about buddy lists

I'm an expert on the ignore function, but I have little experience with buddy lists. If it's anything like what it is on CB, then only "buddies" can see your posts.

FM can set up a buddy list for people who just want to share spiritual experiences, share how they can improve things in their ward, discuss missionary work, share about raising kids in the Gospel, help their home teachees, exercise faith etc. The discussion would be by invitation only. That way he can withhold membership from those who want to talk about McConkie, the priesthood ban, gays, or engage in unobservable, unfalsifiable, theological psychobabble, or those who aim to destroy the kingdom.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I'm an expert on the ignore function, but I have little experience with buddy lists. If it's anything like what it is on CB, then only "buddies" can see your posts.

FM can set up a buddy list for people who just want to share spiritual experiences, share how they can improve things in their ward, discuss missionary work, share about raising kids in the Gospel, help their home teachees, exercise faith etc. The discussion would be by invitation only. That way he can withhold membership from those who want to talk about McConkie, the priesthood ban, gays, or engage in unobservable, unfalsifiable, theological psychobabble, or those who aim to destroy the kingdom.
I don't know why I'm engaging you guys. The point is not that I want to be exclusionary. It's that you are. If both of the above categories were given equal weight and time (per the desires of board members here) that woudl be fine. But it has been made all too clear by the CougarGuard intelligentsia that any of the first category has no place here. And I and others (per the boardmails I've received since I got into this little tiff) are sick of it.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This reminds me a little of folks that complain there is too much bad news in the paper.

What about all the good stuff that his happening in the city?

The wounded seek the physician. Those without wounds do not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FM, at what point are we to stop learning about things?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know why I'm engaging you guys. The point is not that I want to be exclusionary. It's that you are. If both of the above categories were given equal weight and time (per the desires of board members here) that woudl be fine. But it has been made all too clear by the CougarGuard intelligentsia that any of the first category has no place here. And I and others (per the boardmails I've received since I got into this little tiff) are sick of it.
If you stop framing your comments in terms of why other people are spiritually inferior, then you won't have as big of a problem. The only views of yours that annoy me are the comments about how sad you are that other people haven't had the same spiritual experiences that you've had, as if your spirituality is somehow superior to that of people who have different views.

I feel like my views have been confirmed to me by the spirit. At the same time, the spirit never told me that you have to believe the way I do. Happy now?

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 06-06-2008 at 03:37 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
If you stop framing your comments in terms of why other people are spiritually inferior, then you won't have as big of a problem. The only views of yours that annoy me are the comments about how sad you are that other people haven't had the same spiritual experiences that you've had, as if your spirituality is somehow superior to that of people who have different views.

I feel like my views have been confirmed to me by the spirit. At the same time, the spirit never told me that you have to believe the way I do. Happy now?
Totally agree.

FM, you come across very arrogantly and then ironically criticize everyone else for being arrogant. I don't know you, so I have no idea if you truly are arrogant, but it's how you're coming across. I might take MudPhud's suggestions to heart.

And your skin's a little thin. But I think Tex already mentioned that.

Oh...and I'm not shouting the above and I don't think it's particularly slanderous.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

http://listverse.com/religion/top-15...mous-atheists/

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote