cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default Plastic Surgery

Last week’s discussion about piercings, appearance, and homogeneity caused me to reflect a bit on the prominence of elective plastic surgery in our (contemporary North American) culture. A woman with two (or more) earrings in one ear is doing far less harm to her body than one who gets her chest augmented. Has the church ever made a statement about (elective, of course) plastic surgery, aside from general injunctions about modesty?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
A woman with two (or more) earrings in one ear is doing far less harm to her body than one who gets her chest augmented. Has the church ever made a statement about (elective, of course) plastic surgery, aside from general injunctions about modesty?
When it comes down to it (possible safety issues aside), are implants any different in intent than, say, orthodontic braces? The point in the end is to look better by artificial standards, no?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
When it comes down to it (possible safety issues aside), are implants any different in intent than, say, orthodontic braces? The point in the end is to look better by artificial standards, no?

My daughter wore braces to correct some sort of bite problem that would supposedly have cuased problems later on. Her teeth were actually pretty straight before she wore them.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My daughter wore braces to correct some sort of bite problem that would supposedly have cuased problems later on. Her teeth were actually pretty straight before she wore them.
right TMJ and such; and there are women who have implants after masectomy. These are not the majority of the cases.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Last week’s discussion about piercings, appearance, and homogeneity caused me to reflect a bit on the prominence of elective plastic surgery in our (contemporary North American) culture. A woman with two (or more) earrings in one ear is doing far less harm to her body than one who gets her chest augmented. Has the church ever made a statement about (elective, of course) plastic surgery, aside from general injunctions about modesty?
Living in a ward where half the people seem to have more money than sense, it would be a big deal if the prophet came out against artificial enhancements.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As with last week's discussion, I think context has to be considered. Hinckley was talking to church youth and young adults, and it was in the context of a much larger (and more spiritually centered) discussion.

I don't expect that the number of high school teens and college-aged young adults getting augmentations is that high relative to those with multiple piercings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Somehow I just can't get there, Barbara.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't expect that the number of high school teens and college-aged young adults getting augmentations is that high relative to those with multiple piercings.
Reality would surprise you Tex.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I must have missed the discussion about piercings. That one has always made me scratch my head. I find it bizarre that the church would choose to speak out on something so seemingly minor.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Reality would surprise you Tex.
Sorry, I just don't buy it. While I'm sure there are exceptions, absent some hard data, you're not going to get me to believe that surgeries outpace (or even keep pace with) second or third piercings for the 14-24 crowd.

Last edited by Tex; 07-24-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I must have missed the discussion about piercings. That one has always made me scratch my head. I find it bizarre that the church would choose to speak out on something so seemingly minor.
It was started by me, but since you had me on ignore you probably didn't see it. Of course, if you're still ignoring me, you won't see this post either.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10016