cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Not at all.

I am actually quite hopeful, just not hopeful for the things many value.

I am quite hopeful of scientific advancements. Quite hopeful that life will change. Quite hopeful of exploration.

I am not hopeful that large institutions change, except through violent means or over a very long time. History seems to provide support for this.

I'm a hopeful pragmatist.
What kind of a hope is that? Your hope is limited to hoping for scientific advancement, that life will change, and that we will explore? You have set your standards very low. All of those are things that are GUARANTEED to happen.

I truly think something has happened in your life which made you afraid of failure and of vulnerability. You now play things extremely safe and set your expectations extremely low. By so doing, you think you won't be exposed to failure. I feel like you placed trust in an individual once and were seriously burned, leading to your overly cynical attitudes. I don't know you at all, but that is the feeling I get. I most certainly could be wrong.

We don't understand each other and we are on opposite sides of virtually every spectrum. All I know is that I, like homeboy, feel incredibly depressed after every exchange I have with you.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Depressed because somebody makes a pragmatic evaluation of the political world of institutions, or of people? That's odd.

If you understood existentialism, you might understand some of my true viewpoints. Remember Sisyphus? Condemned to push a stone up the mountain for eternity for using chicanery to obtain immortality.

Study German die Ehre. I love Satre, Camu and others.

Apocalypse Now is also fascinating as is Heart of Darkness.

Teancum and Oliver Cowdery are also interesting folk.

To me, there's a lot of hope in these figures. So it's odd, these images or my post come across as depressing.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We don't understand each other and we are on opposite sides of virtually every spectrum. All I know is that I, like homeboy, feel incredibly depressed after every exchange I have with you.
And yet, like a moth to a flame . . . .

It's like the old marx borthers' (and probabyl others') joke:

Man: DOc, my leg hurts when I do this (moving leg).

Doctor: Well, then, don't do that.

Or the Woody Allen Joke at the end of Annie Hall where he talks about the guy that goes to the psychiatrist complaining that his brother thinks he is a chikcen. The shrink tells the guy to bring the brother in so he can give him some treatment to get over the delucion. The guy says I'd love to Doc., but I need the eggs.

Ba-da boom!
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
She might be a bad person. She might be a bad politician. She might stand for something you don't. But how you can possibly take it to the point where you have taken it indicates a very deep problem that needs to be resolved.
Or it just might mean he has an opinion and expresses it without caring for the moment about how well it holds up to logical scrutiny.

Heaven forbid we all have to go through such mental gymnastics before speaking our minds. This world would be a very boring place, and only lawyers would love it.

Disclaimer: I can add nothing of substance to this conversation, just wanted to throw in an opinion. I thought about it for .79 seconds before beginning to type.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Archaea

Ohio Blue: who doesn't like the Bear or James Joyce?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #16
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Ohio Blue: who doesn't like the Bear or James Joyce?
not sure I follow. Rather, I'm quite sure I don't. Elaboration?

Incidentally, I note you have referenced Existential philosophy many times on this and other boards over the years. My only contention--and it's a minor one--is that such a philosophy is quite broadly defined, and depending on which authors one reads, is experienced in vastly different ways.

I understand in principle the European Existentialists who emphasized isoloation, angst, pain. I am on board with everything except where they put their emphasis. I'm more in line with those like Tillich, May, Frankl, Kierkegaard and others who see the same 'givens,' 'thrownness' and realities of existing in the world, but in them see reason for hope, meaning construction, embracing of the joys of life and relationships with other human beings.

What do you resonate with?
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
Archaea

Elaboration.

Flow of consciousness, write whatever pops into the mind.

I like both sides, as both sides resonate within me. The strength of isolation, yet the warmth of relationships resonate.

It is a contradiction, one of which I am aware, but with which I deal. Imagine if Job were real, and maybe he was, he had to be part European existentialist just to survive.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Quote:
And yet, like a moth to a flame . . . .

It's like the old marx borthers' (and probabyl others') joke:

Man: DOc, my leg hurts when I do this (moving leg).

Doctor: Well, then, don't do that.

Or the Woody Allen Joke at the end of Annie Hall where he talks about the guy that goes to the psychiatrist complaining that his brother thinks he is a chikcen. The shrink tells the guy to bring the brother in so he can give him some treatment to get over the delucion. The guy says I'd love to Doc., but I need the eggs.

Ba-da boom!
Lol! A valid point.

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote