cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #51
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Although technically, they're right, aren't they? AIDS never killed anyone, it's the disease that came in after AIDS shut down their immune system.

So I suppose "he died of a cold" is accurate.

:?
Correct. AIDS destroys the immune system and because of that, other health problems become exaggerated.

I should have clarified that on both occassions, we were told that the deceased passed away from cancer. I've never heard of any correlation between the two.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
I also had opportunity to talk with Elder Lyman, who was the Southeast Africa Area doctor while I was there about the problem. He stated that the church estimates that they will have over 30,000 orphans on its hands within 10 years, due to their parents dying of AIDS.
That's incredible.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #53
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has brought up a question for me that I don't think has ever crossed my mind. What do we know about AIDS in North Africa and the Middle East? Are there any statistics regarding that region? My first impression would be that Muslims are at minimal risk due to their strict religious codes regarding sexuality. But then my realistic side says that there is likely risky behavior in all nations. I would also wonder if people in that region of the world who do test positive get treated like people in the US did in the early 80's.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote